RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

15k SAS drives in Gen8 Microserver with P222

rottenit

My P222 is inbound and Im on the hunt for some new hard drives. I currently have 2 2tb SATA "enterprise" drives in a raid 1 mirror.

Anyone use any 3.5" 15k sas drives in there microserver? I use this as a production box and testing for my small office, running hyper-v on 2012R2. Disk read queue does spike up a bit now and then.

Are there also power/heat concerns with these drives in the microserver?

Thanks!

I have played with some. They tend to run very hot. Although their latency is extremely low due to their RPM, it seems like their transfer rates are not much better than 10K drives. Check the sustained transfer rates and latency specs before spending much time or money on them.

15k drives are a bit of a legacy item now, especially in 3.5" form factor.  I do have 15k SAS drives in a server at work, but they're 2.5".  Only a pair of 300GB in RAID1 for the OS.  All the storage is on 3.5" SATA drives.

• Like 1

For all out speed I use SSD, for a mix of speed and capacity I use 10k WD VR drives maybe oh a RAID0. for capacity, I try to find 7200 rpm SAS 3.5" drives.

Im going with your bracket and 1 128gb SSD's connected to the onboard raid controller (Raid 1). Planning on either raid 5 or 6 or 10 for the 4 in the bays for the virtual machines.