RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Reinstall windows server 2012 on Microserver Gen 8

steffcip

Dear All,

I have Win server 2012 installed on SSD (port 5) set on raid 0.

Ports 1-2 are occupied by 2 x 3tb in raid 1 with data on them

I would like to reinstall Windows server 2012 again through Intelligent Provisioning (same as first time) but just before starting the installation there is a message "Pressing continue will install the selected operating system and will reset all drives to a freshly installed state. Data currently on this server will be lost..."

Does this mean all HHDs will be "formated" or just the partitions on thr SSD drive which is set as bootable and will reinstall Windows on?

Should I disconnect the 2x3tb drives until after reinstallation of Windows? I've done this once (only for a restart) and when I inserted the drives there was a message that the drives failed and I should press F1 to disable them or F2 to lose the data on them. I was afraid I lost everything, I disconnected again the drives, connected one through a usb interface to another PC and was asking me to format the partition but I installed the drives back into the server and the drives were showing fine in the raid app (F5) and in the old Windows partitions/data are ok.

I am very good at computers/installation of OSs etc but never played with Raid and servers and I don't want to lose my data :)

Thank you.

I don't know why you had trouble with removing the drives and then plugging them back in. You did have the server powered down when you unplugged and replugged them, right?

In any case, I highly recommend shutting down the server, unplugging all drives except the SSD, and then installing the OS. I always do it that way.

I don't know why you had trouble with removing the drives and then plugging them back in. You did have the server powered down when you unplugged and replugged them, right?

In any case, I highly recommend shutting down the server, unplugging all drives except the SSD, and then installing the OS. I always do it that way.

yes always shut down properly, not sure why after unplugging the drives, plugging them back and power on the server I had the message that the drives failed

so I guess the raid arrays settings are saved somewhere and when plugging the drives back these settings are restored automatically ?

That's pretty much as I would expect. Mind you, I still wouldn't do it without at least 2 backup copies of all the data. For me it would just be too risky.