RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Does Plex Use Multiple Cores?

JROrtiz

Hey everyone,

I've done some sleuthing on this but have not found a clear cut answer. I'm working on setting up a small media server dedicated for distributing media locally as well as remotely. This will likely result in the Plex transcoding files on the fly. Is Plex able to take advantage of a quad-core CPU or does it always operate on a single core? If it can take advantage of them, I'll be getting a quad-core i7; otherwise, I'll stick with a dual-core i5.

Thanks!

It seems to support multi-core CPUs. I have an AMD Athlon II X4 (quad) that goes to 100% utilization on all cores when transcoding movies (3x - 6x speed) prior to Sync'ing to my iPad.

Agree with oj88... the load will spread across the cores. However, unless something has changed that I'm unaware of, it doesn't yet utilize any GPU acceleration technologies like CUDA or Quick Sync. If it could, Plex would be even more awesome than it already is. I'm guessing that some time in the future they will, and Quick Sync will be what they use. So I would stick with your original plan and get as big of a processor as you can afford, and my choice would be like yours: Core i7 (with Quick Sync in case they make use of it in the future). I would personally recommend a Devils Canyon chip. :-)

Am currently running PMS within a Hyper-V VM with 4 virtual cores and 1 GB RAM and it works fine. I don't currently have a need to transcode many concurrent client sessions. The host is WSE12R2 with an Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K with 32 GB RAM.

The same host also hosts Blue Iris for a networked camera and rarely jumps above 40% CPU utilization unless I'm compressing or encoding something.

I've been reluctant to add an i7 for more heat only to need more cooling, etc.