RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I can get hold of custom P222 Passive heat sinks! (But need your help!)

Ash3000k

Hi all, 

As you all know the HP Smart Array P222 is a hot little wench, and many of us have tried taming her, 

One guy contacted Cool Solutions in Canada to ask them to create a custom heat sink for the P222, and they did! 

I couldn't get hold of the guy to ask him more info so instead I contacted the company directly and they are willing to sell directly to the rest of us! (woop!)

The minimum order is 25, so my idea was to buy 25, then sell them to you guys or on ebay so we can all share the goodness, 

But I'm now faced with an issue, SHIPPING FEES! 

Quote:

"Cool Innovations P/N Description/Comments Quantity Unit Price Lead Time 3-151411PKTCS71667 Splayed Design, Aluminum Heat Sink 25 $12.50 1 wk Prewashed, Unplated Chomerics T725 Phase Change Material Attached Hardware Included Freight Shipping charges 1 $79.00 N/A"  :blink:

So, what I need is for someone much closer to this guy to take this little idea off of me and run with it, buy the minimum order, then sell directly in the USA/Canada thus avoiding all of the nasty shipping and import fees we have here in the UK!  

Oh, and sell/Ship me one ofcourse! haha

So who is willing to take this over?  (I have attached quote which has the guys email etc)  B)

Quote #2120894 (Ash Bailey).pdf

• Like 1

I think this is very interesting news. It's not too surprising to me that the shipping fees are that high, considering that it's overseas. Normally, I would say to just suck it up and pay the shipping. Divided over 25 units, it's only just over $3 per unit. However, I think there's another consideration. I strongly suspect most of your customers would be in North America, which means you would have the issue of high shipping fees for sending the coolers back to where they came from. Also, what about import duties and brokerage fees?

Has anyone tested one of these to see how much it reduces the temp? Lack of air flow over the heat sink is the main issue I see.

Hi Ash I apologise for letting the initial thread go on this - was me that originally contacted the manufacturer  ^_^

Glad you've picked it up.

Last I remember Cool Innovations were confident that the dramatically increased surface area would reduce the temp by a fair amount, but as schoondawg mentions there is hardly any airflow down there...

As it is, I ended up ditching the P222 because we almost exclusively use ZOL with the on board mini-sas port (my company actually sells the microserver loaded with our storage software, so warranty was another issue). For us the numbers are near as damn-it the same as with the hardware, but with way less the heat/noise. In other scenarios ZOL far outperforms hardware raid too, just because of the nature of its cache implementation.

Either way I hope you get enough folks on board to make this happen, the solution from Cool Innovations certainly seemed like a good one and the folks there seem to be very experienced at what they do.

You should be able to get them to build a sample for testing, so others can have some more info. I think that would be the best way to take it forward.

Edited by scruffters
  • Like 1

Hi all, 

Thanks for the replies, 

I haven't had a unit to test myself yet, I'm quite surprised the lack of interest in this product, the amount of P222 owner cooking their units and complaining about high temps, Yet the opertunity arises to solve this and next to no one in on board...  :wacko:

Scruffters - Thanks for that I will ask for a sample to get some temps, as a starting point,

I was hoping someone from the USA would buy the minimum order of 25 and then sell them to the rest of us, thus avoiding import charges and daft shipping costs,  :D

Hi Ash3000k,

I do not want to jeopardize your affords end energy but looking on my bracket for the additional drives you can see how I mounted an additional fan blowing directly in controller direction.

Maybe this would fit your needs and with a little hand crafting ....

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8439-self-made-drive-bracket-upgrade-of-my-gen8/

• Like 1

Hi Ash3000k,

I do not want to jeopardize your affords end energy but looking on my bracket for the additional drives you can see how I mounted an additional fan blowing directly in controller direction.

Maybe this would fit your needs and with a little hand crafting ....

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8439-self-made-drive-bracket-upgrade-of-my-gen8/

Hi, thanks for that, but I have already managed to set up an active fan pointed at the P222 by using a PCI slot cooler (that gets power from molex), but not want more of an OEM solution that's silent, 

Hence the upgraded heatsink, 

• Like 1

Hi Ash I apologise for letting the initial thread go on this - was me that originally contacted the manufacturer  ^_^

Glad you've picked it up.

Last I remember Cool Innovations were confident that the dramatically increased surface area would reduce the temp by a fair amount, but as schoondawg mentions there is hardly any airflow down there...

As it is, I ended up ditching the P222 because we almost exclusively use ZOL with the on board mini-sas port (my company actually sells the microserver loaded with our storage software, so warranty was another issue). For us the numbers are near as damn-it the same as with the hardware, but with way less the heat/noise. In other scenarios ZOL far outperforms hardware raid too, just because of the nature of its cache implementation.

Either way I hope you get enough folks on board to make this happen, the solution from Cool Innovations certainly seemed like a good one and the folks there seem to be very experienced at what they do.

You should be able to get them to build a sample for testing, so others can have some more info. I think that would be the best way to take it forward.

ZOL = ZFS on Linux?

Hi, thanks for that, but I have already managed to set up an active fan pointed at the P222 by using a PCI slot cooler (that gets power from molex), but not want more of an OEM solution that's silent, 

Hence the upgraded heatsink, 

Similar thinking here...

Our motivation was to 1) investigate alternative heat sinks because we can't really ship the microserver with a DIY fan setup (although some of the efforts here are ingenious/cunning) 2) see if a better heat sink w/the intermediate cooling profile (or whatever the middle one is called) would bring the board back within range.

In defence of the P222, our 3Ware 9750-4i hit similar temperatures in the same slot.

In both cases the increased cooling profile brought things back within range.

Actually I think HP should probably manage expectations a little in their documentation, especially since iLO4 doesn't see 80C as a warning with the Smart Array present!

FWIW with RAID-Z we see similar benchmarks, but its approach to caching is probably superior. Although the Smart Array probably edges for all out performance, and the chassis integration is a nice touch, for us the reduced cost/practicality of ZFS tips it back in favor.

• Like 1