RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I wish we could customize connector backup....

tswalker

I find it frustrating that I am not able to designate separate targets for connector backups per machine.... It just seems to dump everything into a single container.

Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is with Essentials?

That's the way it is due to Single Instance Backup. By having only one copy of a file that's on possibly 25 PC's backed up, then the total backup is a lot smaller than backing up 25 PC's separately.

ok, I didn't realize that has some dedup built in.. I've only been testing on a single client to server. May not be such a big deal then.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "separate targets". However, it might help to say that the Client Computer Backups feature of the WHS line uses SIS (Single Instance Storage). This feature divides the data to be backed up into specific-sized chunks. It compares each data chunk to those it already has in its data store. If an incoming data chunk is identical to one already in the store, it doesn't save it; it simply updates its database to indicate that computer X is also one that owns that data chunk.

The upshot is that CCB only keeps 1 copy of each data chunk. If you're backing up a number of Windows Clients that are running the same OS, this can result in a savings of storage space of up to 80%.

As you can imagine, this backup strategy pretty much requires all of the backups to be stored in the same data store.

• Like 1

that makes a lot of sense... thanks for the detail. I suppose that is why its' database is so important... it must contain the reparse points for the chuck store.

that makes a lot of sense... thanks for the detail. I suppose that is why its' database is so important... it must contain the reparse points for the chuck store.

You got it. But, I believe, the system can rebuild at least some of the database by parsing the chunks it has. I'm not sure how it does that. If I was the developer, I would add a header to each chunk that contained data specifically designed to facilitate database reconstruction. It would take quite a bit of time to rebuild of course, but at least it would be do-able.

Actually, it does that, more or less.

The "Data" files are the actual data. The Global Cluster and index are the checksum data, I think.

I'm not sure, but Alex (Covecube) could definitely answer that, as he's built a tool that will extract the backups from the files directly. At least for WHSv1 and WHS2011.

Thanks Drashna. I don't really know how MS has implemented it; I was just speculating what I would do in their shoes. I would want as much redundancy in the system as possible.

There is some, but they really do need more. 

In fact, it suffers from the same issue that the WHSv1 backup had.... missing one file can wreck the ENTIRE database. :( 

And in some cases.... the service won't start up. Deleting the "commit.dat" file and restarting fixes the issue. 

It does have a number of methods to repair, but as a lot of us have experienced, it's not good enough.

And when using StableBit DrivePool, we officially recommend enabling duplication for the folder, because losing a lot of files will wreck the database.