RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My very first home server/virtualization lab

kylejwx

OK here are the parts that I picked up over black Friday.  I guess I don’t really have a question, just wanted to share what I am doing.  I was considering the Lenovo TS140 with Xeon E3-1225 V3 CPU, but for a little bit less money, I was able to build my own and get 4x the RAM, although I sacrificed the CPU to do so.  This is mainly a lab set up for virtualization, so I figured RAM was more important.

1 x Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible

1 x Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646G3258

1 x Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TXD316G1600HC9DC-V

MSI Z97M-G43 Micro ATX Motherboard - Intel Z97 Express

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/8992483

I got $25 off at newegg for using visa checkout and $25 off at tiger direct for using PayPal. Pretty sweet deal. I wasn't planning on getting a fancy mother board but it worked out. M.2, sata express, 6 SATA ports, I think it was a good deal.

Thoughts? Potential Problems? Good choice to get RAM over CPU? I plan to use Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V.

• Like 2