RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Where is your home server installed?

Joe_Miner

My stuff is kind of spread out over the Basement.  My WHS2011 Server "HAL-9000" is based on an X58 (see Sig) and is located next to my Hamilton Dial-a-Torque Drafting Table in the South-West Corner.  It's on a dedicated 20A circuit.

Edited by Joe_Miner

up7500

Plan is mains electrical on one side of the room and the rack and low voltage on the opposite.  The coax will all more than likely go on the wall in between, the only one of which I will be using is from the antenna and going to the HDHomerun.  Got a 48 port patch panel to run most of it into.  The main thing that will be separate is the camera cables to the DVR and its display cable going back upstairs.  The rack already has a power distribution panel in it and will run on its own dedicated 30 amp circuit.

ikon

"wall inbetween"?? How is there room for a dividing wall in a 5x5 closet?

30 amp? Wow, that's a lot of power for electronic gear.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Mine is in my wife's closet. It keeps it warmer in there and she loves it. I would be in trouble if I moved it.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

up7500

The south wall has the door.  The east wall will get the rack.  The north wall is where the coax goes.  And the west wall is where the electrical panel goes.  The PDU is meant to service a full size rack in a data center and has 12 outlets on 2 separate internal circuit breakers..  I doubt it will ever be pulling close to 30 amps, but since it is rated for it and this is new construction, might as well provide the full circuit.  Not to mention I will running at least 2 UPS's off of it.  One for the home server and network equipment.  The other for the downstairs HTPC and movie server.  If I can find the money there might be 3, that way the home server is one its own and all the network equipment would be on a different one.  Also might end up with the one for the telecom box on the PDU.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

I am in our Denver office, just sent this beauty home with an employee for a server rack:

BbACsf.jpg

Two UPS on the bottom, two servers on the middle shelve and networking on the top.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

I helped somebody move a nice HP Mini Rack recently. Had a 2U UPS, and a 24 port switch in it. Man, I wanted it, but it was already claimed. :(

I'll have to continue to live with my Ikea Lack Rack.

lopta

Mine was in the "study" (store room and library with a computer desk in the corner) but I'm about to move it across the house to the "family room" (carpeted play room) because my daughter inherits the study to free her old room up for her baby brother, who is due to arrive towards the end of December. I may have to build a bracket to hang it under the new desk. I recently bought my wife a Mac mini and compared to that, our other PCs seem huge.

awraynor

Mine was in the "study" (store room and library with a computer desk in the corner) but I'm about to move it across the house to the "family room" (carpeted play room) because my daughter inherits the study to free her old room up for her baby brother, who is due to arrive towards the end of December. I may have to build a bracket to hang it under the new desk. I recently bought my wife a Mac mini and compared to that, our other PCs seem huge.

Congratulations on the new baby boy! My children were born in October, November and oldest son in December. What a great time for a new baby.