RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Where is your home server installed?

schoondoggy

I am in the process of remodeling the room my production server and lab is in.

I don't have any rack-mount servers currently, but I find two or four post racks to be a great way to organize your gear.

I found this at a local PC salvage place:

MqKSV7.jpg

It is two old two post racks mounted on casters and bolted side by side. It came with several shelves.

I think I will put lab equipment on one side and production on the other.

Creative use of an old printer stand. I picked this up for a friend for his home server and network:

FciEyV.jpg

ikon

Nice finds schoondoggy. The printer stand looks like it's sitting in a server room. I guess that was it's home before you picked it up.

schoondoggy

One of our engineers has been using it as a crash cart in the lab at work. I need to find him a replacement.

ikon

LOL :)

Funny thought. Calling it a "crash cart" brought to mind an image of the cart equipped with a schoondoggy-mocked-up defibrilator.... you know, for server resuscitation :D

BTW, re: the thread topic, my server is in a room I constructed when I finished the basement. The room houses the furnace and water heater, as well as the server, Ethernet switch, UPS', Untangle router, and cable modem.

• Like 1

Poppapete

I have a very similar setup using storage shelving. On the shelves are, 2012er2 server, box for sophos, box only running BI for security cameras, 24 port router, cable modem and junk.

http://s4.postimg.org/guh27ced9/WP_20141202_07_57_37_Pro.jpg

schoondoggy,

How do you insert images directly into your post?

ikon,

How hot does the server get whilst in bed with those heaters?

ikon

It doesn't really get hot at all Poppapete. The furnace and water heater don't generate much heat in the room, fortunately.

Jason

I've repurposed a small upstairs linen closet in our new home for my WSE12R2 box. Added a bathroom exhaust fan in ceiling that's triggered by a wall thermostat that vents heat up into the attic if it reaches 80F. Though I've found leaving the closet door slightly ajar is enough to muffle the fan noise and keep operating temps acceptable. The home is well insulated; so far this has worked well in summer and winter.

Though my modem, Sophos UTM mini ITX box and TP-Link 24 port gigabit switch are located in a spare garage adjacent to a structured wiring panel. There is no climate control and these devices generate little to no heat of their own. I'm more curious to see how they operate in low temps as they've proven to be unaffected by 100F or slightly above.

ikon

They should have no issue with low temps. The greatest issue may be the variation in temperature.

schoondoggy

I have a very similar setup using storage shelving. On the shelves are, 2012er2 server, box for sophos, box only running BI for security cameras, 24 port router, cable modem and junk.

http://s4.postimg.org/guh27ced9/WP_20141202_07_57_37_Pro.jpg

schoondoggy,

How do you insert images directly into your post?

I use a service call imageshack.us

I think it was free to start, but I think I had to pay the last time I renewed.

kylejwx

I use a service call imageshack.us

I think it was free to start, but I think I had to pay the last time I renewed.

Do you insert HTML code into the forum post to display the picture? Is the picture just hosted by imageshack?

Edited by kylejwx