RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lowes 50% off select tools

schoondoggy

Do people in the USA buy metric tools?

Sure...it's the only way to repair the stuff that comes from overseas when it breaks.

• Like 1

Do you think there are no metric fasteners in the US? Lets see, everyone on this forum works on computers, that have metric screws.

They're handy to have when working on "metric" components.  I've had metric tools since I began buying tools in the 70's.

Sure...it's the only way to repair the stuff that comes from overseas when it breaks.

Interesting. I recall that, back in the 70s and before, US importers would force overseas manufacturers to produce their products using SAE fasteners, and the manufacturers would comply because the US market was simply too important. I know Canadian manufacturers had to do that. For all I know, they still do.

Do you think there are no metric fasteners in the US? Lets see, everyone on this forum works on computers, that have metric screws.

True, but those screws mostly have slot, Philips, Torx, or Robertson heads, so the tools used are pretty universal. You do have to ensure you get the right type and size of screw for a particular location but, except for Torx (which I detest), the screwdriver you use doesn't have to be SAE or metric. For the most part, I agree, we're pretty much dealing only with screws and bolts.

They're handy to have when working on "metric" components.  I've had metric tools since I began buying tools in the 70's.

Certainly Metric tools are a must for work on cars imported from Europe, Japan, or Korea.

Guys, are most products made in the US still made with SAE measurements, or is there a trend for more & more products to be made with Metric?

Guys, are most products made in the US still made with SAE measurements, or is there a trend for more & more products to be made with Metric?

It really varies.  That is why most people have both metric and SAE tools in their tool boxes.

So US companies are making products using Metric measurements and parts?

I wouldn't go quite that far but it is usually industry segment related.

Got it. I find it interesting because, at some point, the US is going to have to convert to Metric. I've been watching from the sidelines for years.