Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• MrEinstin
      By MrEinstin
      I want to rebuild my stock N54L. My preferred line of thinking is to use a PCIe X-16 card and about a 240Gb NVME M.2 SSD as my boot drive. I'm concerned about the BIOS seeing this though and being able to use it as a bootable device. Anyone tried something like this yet? I'm wanting to use all 4 drive cages for storage drives. I can't find anything in the bios regarding UEFI so I have to wonder if this is even possible or could there be a bios mod out there that would work?

My alternative setup would wind up being a regular SATA SSD and replace the DVD drive with it. I'd rather the speed of the NVME PCIe setup though if its possible.

Anyone?

• Tuckshoprn
      By Tuckshoprn
      I have a syba Si-PEX40064 4 port sata card based on marvel chipset installed in my n54l. Bios sees it and can boot from it, but when it is installed, ubuntu loses the onboard network card. Using ifconfig-a lists it as enp3s0 and disabled, without the pcie card installed it is enp2s0. I have tried manually enabling it using ifconfig enp3s0 up, this says it is active, but it does not talk to the network. Any ideas appreciated.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      The HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer compared to the Previous Gen8 and N54L/N40L/N36L MicroServers

The Gen10 and Gen8 are the same dimensions and can be easily stacked

• theunlucky
      By theunlucky
      Hey fellow N54l Users

...I did it, and honored my nickname:
      I cracked an HDD-carrier beyond repair (don't ask how, tnx )... (now, that I need all 4 3,5"-slots - the other 3 are already occupied)

I checked the HP Spareparts-Shop, and the prieces... ...trying to get an N40L or N54L on ebay would be cheaper i guess...

But before I try "a whole machine" - there are plenty of "compatible" carrier for other Proliant-Servers (on ebay and some chinese portals)...

Does anybody know if there are "N54L-compatible" HDD-Carriers available?

Thanks for your reply

a real unlucky "theunlucky"...
    • BJWTech
      By BJWTech
      Hello all,

I recently wanted to upgrade my HP n36l from the Ubuntu 12.04 that was installed a few years ago. I now run mostly all my gear on CentOS 7 software, so I tried to install CentOS 7 1511 minimal. To my surprise both a CD and USB install ISO failed to boot with a kernel panic.

Seems to be related to setting the system timer. I found a relevant bug and got a clue to help me get it installed.

I had to edit the grub entry on the livecd to append the following line (use the TAB key to edit the grub boot command);
      initcall_blacklist=clocksource_done_booting Once added, the install went as normal. I rebooted after install and was met with the same bug and had to edit the grub command once again using the "e" key this time to edit. It seems a newer kernel is needed to move past the bug.

I then set off to update the system with;
      yum -y update After updating and subsequent reboot the grub edit was no longer necessary and the new kernel booted up without issue. Save for a missing amd bin file. I will post a fix for that too.

Brian

edited for tags....