RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Basic WHS question

wallace.burrus

I am new and appoligize in advance but can someone please tell me how to load / install third party software on my WHS? I have a backup account on Memopal but need to install the crawler to backup my files. I have searched Microsoft and a host of forums but can't find what I need.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wally

well, first of all you need to know if memopal has a WHS add-on. If they do you just got to console and then click settings and then add-ons. Again if they do not have a WHS add-on there maybe something that can be done to install other software, but then you have the issues of trying to get the software to run as a service as there is not an account that normally runs all the time on WHS.

Hope this helps.

My understanding is it is best to use add-ins as all programs won't install on WHS as it is a server OS in lieu of a typical Windows OS, but you can try. If you get the add-in, copy the .msi to the software-add-ins folder in your shares folder. Then from within the WHS console you will see the options tab, under that the available add-ins. Probably clear as mud, but post if you need more help.

Hi wallace.burrus,

It's true that the best way to get software on your WHS machine which is meant to be headless (no monitor) is to install WHS addins. A great place to find addins is whsplus.com

This is because they have be written to be installed easily, as mentioned, follow awraynor instructions.

Windows Home Server is based on Windows Server 2003, therefore any program written for WS2003 can be installed on WHS, you would have to do a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to see the WHS desktop and go from there. The biggest warning I can give you here in to be careful installing any software that might make changes to the servers network card. If you disable it or put up a firewall that blocks it then you have a problem if you don't have a monitor.

I googled memopal and if I'm correct it is a Online Backup solution. Looks like they don't have a addin. I would suggest KeepVault or Cloudberry to keep things simple, you can find them at http://www.whsplus.com/

John (homeservershow).