RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS $4.99 with purchase of AMD FX 8320 BE ...

GDog

OK, I'm online looking around for a middle-ground 8-Core CPU to handle some MP4 encoding chores. I'm on Micro Center's site, paging through their online Black Friday Sale Catalog. I see a AMD FX 8320 Black Edition listed for $119.99 and I click on it. It then says there is a special deal and I have to add it to my checkout cart to see the special price. I do it and turns out the special price is $109.99. Newegg is selling these for $119 mind you. THEN, I see a Tab titled "Add-ons". I click on that and some recommended components are made available to add to my cart, one of which is an ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard for on sale for $54.99 with a $10.00 rebate (in-store pickup only). I clicked on it to add it to my cart just to see what the total would be. Holy cow, the price came up $4.99!! I went through the whole process a second time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it came up the same $4.99. SO, I went ahead and checked out. The price held through the checkout. I waited about 30-min and called the Store to see if my order was ready to pick up and they said yes. Thinking they will probably catch the error after I get to the Store and try to pay for it, I went ahead and drove over to the local Micro Center. I went straight to the Internet Purchases counter and paid for everything and left the store. 

Soon as I got home, I went back online and looked around for some kind of a promotion to explain this, maybe something sponsored by AMD & Asus - nothing. I logged back onto my Micro Center account and tried to buy another one, and it is still coming up $4.99, so I immediately logged on here to tell everyone about it.

Now I know that Asus MB is not a great one, but it will do what I want it to do and it is rated for 32nm AMD CPU's up to 125W. My only AMD box at present is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P & Phenom II X4 975, OC'd lightly to 3.8GHz. This conbo blows away my Intel 3.33GHz Quad CPU from the same era on MP4 Encoding with Handbrake, EVEN considering the 450MHz difference in speed. So I am expecting this FX 8320 to be quite a bit better than that. Besides, almost ANY brand new MB for $4.99 is a great deal.

GDog

Looking at your link, it looks like they are giving a $50 discount on the package, for CERTAIN CPUs, if you buy JUST a MB at the same time (certain ones), even if it is a low cost MB like this one. That's STILL a great deal don't you think? I don't see Egghead doing that. They seems to want the buyer to spend a lot more money. I got this combo for $124 out the door, tax & everything.

Yes it still is a good deal.  But just saying that it's nothing new with them.  Also keep in mind that it is a in store only deal and not everyone has a Microcenter near them.