RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fiber IPTV and Internet - and Microsoft

Al_Borges

Just got  Fiber internet and IPTV service  at the house this past week  -   I was finally able to dump Comcast !

I had a sense of Deja vu when I was perusing  the DVR -   then when I unplugged the set top box to move it  and rebooted , found out why

The Cisco IPTV Router  runs  Microsoft  "Mediaroom" software under Windows CE. 

Both Mediaroom and  Windows Media Center have the same forebears in  MSN Tv/ Web TV

the interface on the DVR shows  a marked resemblance to WMC !!!

if you get a chance to upgrade to a fiber internet broadband -  do it

attached are before and after speedtest.net runs

The speed increase is nice - paying less money to boot

What is interesting is that uploads to the onedrive are now just a shade slower than transfer to my NAS 

Metronet 11 20 2014 AM.jpg

Comcast  11 20 2014 AM.jpg

Lucky bastard!

I don't have Comcast, but I do have Cox... and I'm paying way too much (well, it's business grade, so no blocked ports, higher upstream and no data caps... so that's something, but comparable to what your comcast connection is....)

And LONG LIVE MEDIA CENTER! 

Ditto, Lucky bastard!

With NBN fibre in Australia the maximum is 100/40 for which you pay extra.

25/5 is the basic fibre speed for most ISP's.

The NBN (National Broadband Network) is owned by the Government and all ISP's are supposed to be treated equally..

True Net Neutrality!!!!!

Rub it in, why don't you?

I guess I got the runt of it all... 8 down / 1 up. Pathetic!

Just writing this reply is probably killing the Netflix stream downstairs so I have to cut this shor$=\~... [DISCONNECTED]

• Like 1

I get 25/4 advertised (36/6 according to speed test). I pay $95/ month for it, but as I said, business grade.

Cox has upgraded and has faster for consumers. But, not worth it for me.

I really want fiber. Even if it's from Verizon...

I had Cox 50/5 business grade before moving to a new construction home a couple miles away not serviceable by Cox. Now 4/0.5 and it's horrid. Would take any business over consumer package.

I had Cox 50/5 business grade before moving to a new construction home a couple miles away not serviceable by Cox. Now 4/0.5 and it's horrid. Would take any business over consumer package.

I would pay for that, but it was $250/month AFTER being discounted for a "home office".  It's the best plan and I really want it, but i can't justify spending THAT much, without having other people paying a portion of my bandwidth.....

I have 60/10 in theory, but I just did a http://speedtest.net and the best I could get was 30/10. It costs me $70/mo.

Still better than my 25/4 advertised for $90/month.....