RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex adds Parental Controls and Apps on Sale

Dave

Thanksgiving App Sale! For one week only, Nov. 24 to Nov 29, Plex apps are on sale. Just a small token of appreciation to demonstrate our gratitude.

Some Stuff Can't be Unseen Wish you had a way to share the Plex experience without sharing everything in your library? We're excited to announce Plex Home, a feature that's been in the works for quite awhile, Plex Home, now available for Web, PHT, and Roku, and will soon be available on other platforms. It's our solution to the current most-requested Plex feature, parental controls, but it's also a whole lot more. Plex Home lets you quickly and easily create accounts for anyone in your home. You can protect any account with a PIN, and you can instantly switch between accounts on supported apps. Plex Home also introduces fine-grained access control for all your family and friends - restrict based on content rating or even choose individual items to share.

Finally, all the members of your Home can take advantage of important Plex Pass benefits like free apps (as they gain support for Plex Home). We know how important these features are to so many of you, and we're thrilled to make them available to Plex Pass holders today!

Nice feature. I've been using the "Friends" feature to add family members. This allows each member to have their own instance of Plex so things like Playlists, Recently Watched movies, bookmarks, and such will be unique to each member, similar to user profiles in Netflix.

This does begs the question, how is "Users" different from "Friends"? I noticed that once a User has accepted the invite and becomes a bonafide member of "My Home", they seem to end up listed under "Friends" as well.