RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup software or sollution for bare-metal recovery

Royco

The reason I asked this question here, is because of the B120i hybrid raid. It makes the use of bootdisks more difficult.

I would like to make a backup and be able to restore the whole hard disk after a catastrophic failure. There are programs like clonezilla, which provide a boot disk and allow off-line backups. However, you will probably need to provide the drivers for proper RAID recognition. What options are there to make a complete backup and restore of the hard disk?

I'm running Centos linux.

Might be inconvenient, but there's always the option of removing the drive from the serve and cloning it on another machine??

Or maybe a hybrid solution: clone the OS drive in the MicroServer, but be prepared to move the drive to another computer in the event you have to restore it. This might be a practical technique because, presumably, you will have to do Restores very infrequently.

Might be inconvenient, but there's always the option of removing the drive from the serve and cloning it on another machine??

Or maybe a hybrid solution: clone the OS drive in the MicroServer, but be prepared to move the drive to another computer in the event you have to restore it. This might be a practical technique because, presumably, you will have to do Restores very infrequently.

Those are excellent ideas.

I can add a drive to an empty bay, perform a clone (with "dd" for example)  and remove the drive. After a failure I can swap the old drives and boot from this drive. Does this sound correct?

So:

I have 2 drives in one logical raid 1 volume.

I add a third drive (have a spare somewhere) and copy the drive.

Remove the drive.

After a failure...

I re-install the third drive and boot from this.

Perhaps copy what I need from the raid 1 volume.

Restore the raid 1 volume or swap some drives around and force a raid rebuild?

That's pretty much what I did with WHSv1. Almost unbelievably, WHSv1 had no way of actually backing up the OS drive. So, every few weeks, I would shut down my Acer H340 server, remove the OS drive, clone it to a backup drive, then reinstall it in the unit and boot back up. I had to remove the drive to clone it because the Acer H340 had no provision for a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Since you can see what's going on, you can clone the drive in situ.

I'm not sure about how the RAID affects things. I think you will have to experiment there. Just be sure you have a way out, no matter what you do.