RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Light Defusers?

Joe_Miner

What do you guys use/recommend for lighting when making videos or doing podcasts?

I've done some video's where it's really hard to see inside a computer case what I'm doing even though in real time everything looks good -- it's hard to lighten it up afterwards (I'm still on a steep learning curve :) -- so much to learn )

The most even lighting I've ever used came from a photographic lightbox. Here's a link to a cheapo box you can build yourself: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox. And here's a link to a pro-type box: http://www.adorama.com/PALBT24.html

Thanks for the suggestions ikon.

I remembered that Dave & Jim had talked about the CowboyStudio Lighting Kit about a year ago and then found a link on Jim's Blog -- I checked Amazon who had it on sale so I've decided to give that a try........

Looks pretty good JM. One thing I would like to point out is that diffusers like these can be used from a number of different angles. What I mean is, most people who are new to them kind of just point them directly at the subject and that's it. My old photo buddies and I used to call this 'boob lighting'. What we meant is that the umbrella is like a breast, with the center tip of the umbrella being the nipple. Boob lighting is when the nipple is pointed directly at the subject.

While boob lighting is effective in many situations, it's also possible to use diffusers for so-called 'edge effects'. What you do is first set the umbrella up for boob lighting. Then, examine the lighting of your subject and note how the shadows and highlights look. Taking a test shot is often a good idea, so you can compare later on. Now, turn the umbrella so it's almost 90 degrees (say 75 - 80 degrees) away from boob lighting. This causes the light to travel through more fabric before hitting the subject and can give what some would call a somewhat subtle, but definitely noticeable, difference.

Have fun with it.

Looks pretty good JM. One thing I would like to point out is that diffusers like these can be used from a number of different angles. What I mean is, most people who are new to them kind of just point them directly at the subject and that's it. My old photo buddies and I used to call this 'boob lighting'. What we meant is that the umbrella is like a breast, with the center tip of the umbrella being the nipple. Boob lighting is when the nipple is pointed directly at the subject.

While boob lighting is effective in many situations, it's also possible to use diffusers for so-called 'edge effects'. What you do is first set the umbrella up for boob lighting. Then, examine the lighting of your subject and note how the shadows and highlights look. Taking a test shot is often a good idea, so you can compare later on. Now, turn the umbrella so it's almost 90 degrees (say 75 - 80 degrees) away from boob lighting. This causes the light to travel through more fabric before hitting the subject and can give what some would call a somewhat subtle, but definitely noticeable, difference.

Have fun with it.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I will give them all a try!!