RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Turn Homeserver to a virtual tv recorder

Homer-S

Hello,

I never tried to record a tv show with my tv usb card.

I am noow running some Win7 VMs and these are working well with the terratec usb card.

Now my question for the following task

I want to record tv shows best directed by a client

I only need one record stream at once

Do you have any ideas with which software it could be easily realised?

Thanks

You need to provide detailed info about your VM environment.

If you're using Hyper-V I think you're SoL. AFAIK, you can't pass USB devices to Hyper-V, at least not without using a 3rd party tool.

Ok, I am using Hyper-V but with USB over Network in trial mode. It seems to be running well because the win7 machine is recognizing it and installed drivers.

The only complain which appeared was that it is missing a direct9 (as far as I remember) video card.

But my thought have been if I am not want to display the tv broadcast just "download" it ... do I really need this?!

This is an interesting thread. Always wondered whether this could be done with a Win 7 Hyper-V VM and a Ceton ETH InfiniTV 6 network tuner.

Something needs to made clear: are you trying to actually record the TV show as it's being aired, or are you wanting to download a copy of a TV show that's already been recorded?

If you're trying to have the server record the show, then I think you will require something like USB Over Network. Without it, I don't see how your system is going to be able to see and use the USB TV adapter.

Actually I was looking for a on air recording.

The point with USB over Network was something what was quite clear to me as I mentioned. But I will not buy it without having a solution for the rest ;)

You can also use a free USB over Network tool released by LogMeIn if you want.

https://secure.logmein.com/UK/labs/

I was using it and it worked great (especially for free) but they never updated it to work on Win 8.1 or Server 2012 R2.  If your not using any of those OS's give it a shot.