RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with file recovery

c0op3r

As was previously talked about on this forum, I screwed up and lost a large amount of data in a re-work of my WHS, well since then I have pulled the drive that contained the mass of the files, finished the rework on the server and got it running again (still without that drive installed), I purchased replacement drives to take that drives place and an external SATA to USB stand.

Now so far I have been able to put the partitions back, and I can even see the file structure and the files, but I can't open, move, and copy any of the files, when I try to run any of them windows states that it does not know how to use the file.

As was talked about earlier (for those just tuning in) the drive was previously the Boot drive for the WHS box, it is a WD 2TB EARS drive, it contains two partitions one as the boot/OS and the other as the Data(about 1.5 gigs of video, music, software and pictures/docs).

I need to know how to get the files, back. Does anyone have any suggestions, I have tried a few programs (i.e. PCtools File Recovery).

Have you tried putting this drive in another PC to see if you could copy or move the files from the data partition? You also mentioned trying to "run" the files. I am assuming you are simply trying to either copy or move them at this point to another location.

Also, have you used the WD tool to verify the hard drive is working ok? or a program like Spinrite?

Did you change or alter the jumper on this drive as this is an EARS drive? Otherwise, cskenny suggestions should work.

If none of the above help, I've heard Scott Moulton of MyHardDriveDied.com talk about R-Studio. You can dl a copy and run it for free to see how it'd do. Then buy it if it looks like it would do the job. There's a $49 version that works for NTFS recovery.

PC Doc

Yes the drive has always had the jumper on it since the day I took it out of the Static Bag.

I did not try to put the drive in another machine, I only used it in a USB cradle so far I will try installing it in a Machine now and see what happens.

OK I figured it out, thank goodness the files are still there! The problems seems to be in the way that WHS stores the files, I was getting an error:

Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system

Turns out that the files in the x:\shares folder are just some sort of pointers, the files are really in a hidden folder x:\DE\shares, so you have to turn on show hidden files and folders, go into the \DE\Shares and BINGO! I got my files back.

Thanx to those that tried to help, and lets hope that this post can maybe help other in the future that might run into the same problem.

Quick question, do you see pointers for all of your files, or just the ones stored on that drive (d:\)?

Well hard to tell 100%, but it seems to be for just the ones stored on that drive, I say hard to tell as there is 1.5TB of data files on the drive, and I am no longer working in the \shares folder I am only working in the \DE\shares folder now.

Quick question, do you see pointers for all of your files, or just the ones stored on that drive (d:\)?

The drive was said to be the boot drive, so I would speculate that the original location that ZeroHunter was looking at was the tombstones for all the files. If there were multiple drives in the WHS when that system drive was removed, then it probably has tombstones for files that were located on other drives.

• 2 years later...