RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Daily backup fails at Noon but runs ok 11PM

SOS

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum and have limited exposure to Windos Server.

Latest configuration Jan 2013

Backup ran fine from Jan until 08 Aug 2014.

At that point the Noon scheduled backup failed and has ever since.

(Something happened after 1200 on the 07 Aug)

Error ID 5   Error code 0x800700ea

I reconfigured it to run at 1:00 PM rather than 12:00. No change

I disabled the backup and recreated it. No change

Backup seems to be configured ok (wbadmin enable backup)

There is no other backup running (wbadmin get status)

The backup drive is on line and mostly empty   (diskmgmt.msc)

The 11:00 PM backup and secondary backup are working so not critical issue.

My Setup  

My office server, 5 users

ASUS P8Z77-V LK

i5-3470

16 GB ram

OS  (c:)                Samsung 840 Pro 240G

Data (d:)              Highpoint 2720 RAID 10                  4 of red WD 2T    (only 50G of data at this point)

Backup                 WD Mybook USB 2T

Secondary backup using FingFTP to a NAS at my home

The 11:00 PM backup and secondary backup are working so not critical issue.

How much free space do you have on that disk?  It may be running only one due to space limitations, pus there would be an entry in the Event Logs when it fails.

I'd start my search there.

A strange one SOS. To test whether it's time related, or just something to do with a 2nd backup being scheduled, perhaps you could try changing that 2nd backup to other times. Try several to see if there's a difference.

Another option would be to delete the backup that's working, to see if the other one starts working. That's quite a bit riskier IMHO, however.

How much free space do you have on that disk?  It may be running only one due to space limitations, pus there would be an entry in the Event Logs when it fails.

I'd start my search there.

I thought of that, but SOS stated that the backup drive is mostly empty.

I would disable the second backup and run the fist one only as a test.  But for sure, the Event Logs will show something.

The event log presently says "The backup operation that started at '‎2014‎-‎11‎-‎20T19:00:21.321825700Z' has failed with following error code '0x800700EA' (More data is available."

I will try disabling the 11 PM after the users are off line tonght and see what happens tomorow at 1200

Resolved!

I now have my backup at 1200MP and 1100Pm

I'm not sure if something was broken on my installation or a problem (bug) in the Dashboard approach to setting up Windows backup in Essentials 2012

Hopefully I can explain this without confusing the issue

When the wizard opens you have two choices (radio button).

The left button  “Twice a day (recommended)”  two dropdown boxes  with times in half hour increments

The right button “Custom”  where you can create multiple backups at times available for every half hour buy adding checkmarks.

My setup that was failing used the “Twice a day (recommended)” approach at 1200 PM and 1100PM

Jmwills suggested I disable the second backup to see what events would occur if the first one run alone.

In order to accomplish this I needed to change to the right button (Custom) and select one time (12:00)

When I did this there were two checkmarks, one at 1200AM and one at 1200PM already checked. Why they were already checked I do not know. I unchecked the 1200AM and activated the backup.

The backup ran successfully at 1200PM the next day.

I then went in again and added a second check at 1100PM to the Custom dialog on the right and activated the backup.

The backup runs successfully at both times.

I went back in to take a screen shot of the Radio button dialog display and it had reverted back to the left button  “Twice a day (recommended)”  strange?

When I click on the Custom button it shows the appropriate times 1200PM and 1100PM.

Thankk you for your help.