RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L - Issue with graphics card

mikey

Hi all,

Earlier today I swung past my local computer store and picked up a HD6450 graphics card with HDMI output to facilitate integrated video/audio output to a nearby TV, rather than just video via the on-board VGA output that I was using previously. 

Anyway, I was careful to install the card, closed the box and plugged it all in - but the HDMI output didn't seem to work. Furthermore, I wasn't able to get a signal from the existing on-board VGA port. So basically now I have a server that refused to output video via the new or existing outputs.

Can anyone suggest what the issue may be? I suspect it may be an issue in the BIOS, but without a way to output video, it's going to be tricky to change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mikey

Edited by mikey

Let me quickly clarify.. I can RDP into the server and the Device Manager shows the HD6450 - so it must have installed drivers correctly. However, I'm not getting any video outputs.

I've found it pretty much plug-&-play -- I have a 6450 in my N54L right now

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?  Have you tried the DVI port?

To use the on-system-board VGA port I had to remove the 6450 -- did you try that?

Let me quickly clarify.. I can RDP into the server and the Device Manager shows the HD6450 - so it must have installed drivers correctly. However, I'm not getting any video outputs.

It may have installed very basic drivers. You may not be able to get all the features until you install full-blown drivers. I would go to amd.com and get the latest Catalyst for that card.

I know that if you enable "always use" for the onboard video card in the BIOS that the N54L it will treat the expansion card as an additional video source and you'll be able to use both video cards (the expansion and the onboard).

I'm doing this with a GT 730 to accelerate my VDI setup.

I did notice that prior to setting this in the BIOS, that when using the HDMI or DVI output on the expansion video card it would not provide a signal.. only the VGA port would... could this be similar to your situation?