RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

western digital black drives in hyperv?

scottbakertemp

Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with western digital black drives and hyper v?  Is there a noticeable performance increase over a standard 7200 RPM drive?

In my experience, going over 2 or 3 VMs on a 7200 RPM (Hitachi and seagate) starts to degrade the speed past what I consider exceptable.

I'm wondering if I can run more VMs on a black drive?

What type of VM's will you be running?

Most of the VMs that I have on hard drives are just windows 7 VMs that sit there and do nothing most of the day.

for example:

Running onedrive sync and some robocopy scripts every once in a while.

Windows 7 as a file server

netalk (linux reverse engineered time capsule) on debian 

ubuntu file server

windows 7 with ipsy server

windows 7 running outlook and other office apps

How much capacity do you need? SSD or WD VR drives in a RAID0 is what I usually play around with. Is this for production or education?

How much capacity do you need?  Not 100% sure but I'll probably just get the 4 TB drive

This is "home production"  I'd prefer to not use raid as I believe every hard drive I have is different.

I've seen no advantage running a "Black" WD over other 7200 RPM drives -- go with VelociRaptors or SSD's would be my suggestion.  You can probably pick up VR's rather cheaply and by RAID0 them you'll improve your performance dramatically.  I have 4 VR's in a RAID0 in my Main Workstation for VM's and it works great!

I've seen no advantage running a "Black" WD over other 7200 RPM drives -- go with VelociRaptors or SSD's would be my suggestion.  You can probably pick up VR's rather cheaply and by RAID0 them you'll improve your performance dramatically.  I have 4 VR's in a RAID0 in my Main Workstation for VM's and it works great!

Thanks!

if you have more than one version of any operating system (Windows specifically), you should consider doing the Parent/Child differencing disks on them and place the parent VHD file onto a SSD locked as read only.  You can then put your differencing disks on the platter drives, and you'll have far better performance from your virtual machines and the drives.

Edited by tswalker

There's also the issue that smaller Blacks are just Blues with a different label.  I have a 1TB Black (the newest model), a pair of 500GB Blues, and a 500GB RE4, and if I put them beside each other they're physically identical.  Performance is pretty much identical, too.  

WD seem to have 3 or 4 different physical drives they just stick different firmware and platter counts in.