RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Adding More Drives

Haggis

Hi Guys

I have had my N54L for around  year now

I have 4 drives in there just now just ones i had lying about which totals around 2tb

I am going to remove some of the smaller ones and add some 2tb drives

So i will have 4 * 2Tb in the slots

I want to add another 2tb in the odd bay along with a laptop drive for the OS (headless debian server)

I have the modded bios  to allow ACHI mode on the odd

Am i right in saying i will use the ODD sata port for the 2tb drive and i can use the esata and have a esata to sata cable for the laptop/os drive?

Edited by Haggis

If you have done the Setting-Changes to use ODD & ESATA as "internal Devices" (found with keywords "enable hotpluging"), this should work...

You actually could buy a "Rack" you can install in the ODD-Slot; this would enable you to store 4 2,5"-HDD (or SDD) in the same Slot... As 2TB-2,5"-HDD don't make a bigger difference in Price, this could be an additional Storage-Gain (if you insert an SATA-Card to give the System two more SATA-Ports, you could use the Rack "in Full"

-snip-

I have the modded bios  to allow ACHI mode on the odd

Am i right in saying i will use the ODD sata port for the 2tb drive and i can use the esata and have a esata to sata cable for the laptop/os drive?

Yes.  There are lots of examples of this in the links at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3506-more-interesting-microserver-links/ and 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5190-microserver-hardware-links/ 

Also http://homeservershow.com/the-icy-dock-5-25-hot-swap-drive-caddy-for-a-2-5-and-a-3-5-sata-drive-duoswap-mb971sp-b.html 

Edited by Joe_Miner

Hi mate,

So, I've got a very similar setup as you have on one of my 2 N54Ls. I got myself one of these << Startech dual bay 5.25 racks >> from Amazon... absolutely fantastic. The other N54L has a << Startech 5.25 rack >> which I installed nearly a couple of years back. At that time, I wished there was this dual racks and look as I would, I just couldn't find it. Anyhow, its available now :)... grab yourself one... you won't regret it.

So, back to this - I've got a 320Gb HDD in the 2.5 bay to serve as my OS drive (Win 8.1Pro 64bit - connected to the external eSATA port). The other 5 bays are going to serve as my NAS unit (2x250Gb Seagate Barracudas in Mirror mode, 2x3TB WD Reds in Mirror mode, and, 1x1Tb Toshiba). At some point, when I win the lottery, I'll upgrade the 250Gbs and the 1Tb to 3Tb WD Reds as well and move to a RAID-5 solution similar to the other N54L (which is running a XPenology OS brilliantly).

Not taking focus away from your issue, I'm planning to add a sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX - pci-e 1x) and a video card (Radeon HD6450 1Gb - pci-e 16x). The only thing I don't know is if the PSU will bear this load (its rated at 150w - not sure if an upgrade is required...). Perhaps this is the route you want to go too? Just a thought...

Hope this helps.

Edited by pandemonium

this is something im doing for my second microserver atm, i bought an 8port raid card for 50 quid off ebay, plugged in my 4x2tb 3.5inch drives. Then bought a startech 4x2.5 backplane to go into my 5.25 drive bay, im then planning to put my spare 120gb ssd drive into the ODD slot and slip it under the 5.25bay near the blue HP logo. i dont think ill risk putting anything extra in there as im not sure the PSU could handle it all

Edited by rob1