RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

2014 Black Friday Deals Thread

jmwills
Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server System Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz 4GB 70A4000HUX

NewEgg has the Intel Core i3-4130 Dual-Core HASWELL Server Desktop Barebones Kit (no hard drive or operating system) for a low $164.99 Free Shipping after rebate and using Visa Checkout and Coupon Code: "NAFVC25" (Exp Soon).

Wow...that's cheap.

oj88

Just putting this up there. Geeks love smartwatches, don't they?

Pebble and Pebble Steel are now just $79 and $149, respectively, until Tuesday. http://getpebble.com

I just bought a Pebble Steel and handing down my current black plastic Pebble to my younger brother. I was a backer back when this was still a Kickstarter project.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I did this review for Christmas shoppers last year.  I think it still applies to this year.

Love that Video!

ikon

Just putting this up there. Geeks love smartwatches, don't they?

Pebble and Pebble Steel are now just $79 and $149, respectively, until Tuesday. http://getpebble.com

I just bought a Pebble Steel and handing down my current black plastic Pebble to my younger brother. I was a backer back when this was still a Kickstarter project.

What I would love is a watch that can sync its time via WiFi. I don't want a monthly service plan or all kinds of apps, just a watch that can do NTP.

oj88

What I would love is a watch that can sync its time via WiFi. I don't want a monthly service plan or all kinds of apps, just a watch that can do NTP.

Don't we all? Though, not exactly the same, I know in the US that you guys already have radio sync wristwatches, right? Ones that sync atomic time via RF. http://www.gshock.com/technology/atomic/

The Pebble syncs its time from the phone, which gets its time via NTP (WiFi) or from the provider's time via GSM or other service (also typically NTP-sourced). That makes the watch always accurate.

• Like 1

ikon

Yeah, I'm not interested in the phone-tethered watches.

It's not just in the USA. I'm in Canada, and I have 2 'atomic' watches. I also have a wall clock. They sync to a radio signal from Fort Collins, Colorado. The problem with this setup is that it can be difficult to get an adequate signal in some regions. A watch that can independently get the time via NTP would be something I would welcome.

Taking it a step further, if things could be set up so that watches could use any public WiFi router, without having to log in, or get an account, it would be a beautiful thing. I'm not suggesting the watches be able to surf the Internet or anything; only that they could do NTP. This would, of course, require changes to the way routers are set up. It might even require jiggering of WiFi router firmware, to permit unrestricted access to the NTP protocol while restricting all other access.

• Like 1

oj88

Can't argue with you. It's not for everybody.

I just love the idea of it. More than syncing time, I get phone notifications (texts, email, calendar, etc.), a dashboard to remotely manage/control my phone (turn on/off hotspot, wifi, data, make it silent, loud, or make noises to locate my phone, etc.), as well as the ability to combine fitness band functionalities into it (Misfit and Jawbone), among many others.

All that and it still lasts about a week in between charges. Most standalone smartwatches would only last a day or two, max.

schoondoggy

I did a little stocking up at OfficeMax:

PJr545.jpg

ikon

Did you miss any of the sizes of JumpDrives??? :D