RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Al_Borges

Up to Date Builds for New/Refreshed installs

Al_Borges

On yesterdays  Windows Weekly Podcast - Paul Thurrott mentioned that Microsoft is now providing  current build  ISO's  of Windows 8.1.    These are apparently installable using a valid Key for any of versions of windows 8.

These builds are supposed to be current -   all of the updates and patches in the ISO as of the build date.

This is the link he mentioned. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This would mitigate the major problem with a fresh install of windows -  going thru all updates/ fixes   installing from an old build. 

But this may be even more significant -   If Microsoft continues in this direction -   ( a big question mark )  

in the future , A bare metal restore could be as simple as 

download /  install  a fresh build of W8/W10

sign in to your microsoft account  - 

sign in to office 365

let the system sync your personal data

install what ever additional software you need -- with Steam / Adobe Cloud/ Google apps -   this has been simplified greatly also

You could be up and running within an hour or so depending on how much data you need to sync immediately before you can use your computer.

We already do this for our tablets and phones -   this is the next step to our desktops

jmwills

The last release of ISO images for Windows 8.1 was in April of this year.  This appears to be slipstreaming all the updates for you which would be nice.  I see a VM build coming up.

ikon

install what ever additional software you need -- with Steam / Adobe Cloud/ Google apps -   this has been simplified greatly also

Somehow, I don't think this is going to work for Photoshop, Lightroom, PerfectPhoto Suite, any games, scanner software, Fujitsu ScanSnap Organizer, and a lot of other apps.

My real point is that all these apps tend to be ones that users customize highly, with many settings, and it takes many hours to get them back the way they belong (for that user of course).

IOW, I don't think true BMR is going away any time soon.

You know, this leads to an idea I should have considered years ago. Why don't software makers have a way to save every one 0f the custom settings off to a file; one that can be loaded up after a complete reinstall. Heck, game makers do it with saved games....

Al_Borges

Adobe Cloud  is  Photoshop, Lightroom etc -   all the settings carry forward to a fresh install

ditto for Games on Steam, Google apps, Browser apps like lastpass

I am not saying that Bare Metal Restore from a user generated image will go away -   just that it will be an specialized technique for a particular situation. 

Will be less relevant for most situations -   hell,  we can still backup to multiple DVD's  if we wanted to. 

Microsoft is nudging us towards this  ( okay, more like dragging us  kicking and screaming)   

The last release of ISO images for Windows 8.1 was in April of this year.  This appears to be slipstreaming all the updates for you which would be nice.  I see a VM build coming up.

The main difference, and more significant , is that you can now use any valid windows 8 license to install a current W8.1 image  -  no more installing W8 and then having to update to w8.1 then w8.1 update one  and all that.

I hope they will grandfather all of us that have w8 and allow us to use those licenses for a install of windows 10 !

jmwills

I believe they have already said that 8.1 was going to be a free upgrade to 10.

Poppapete

My real point is that all these apps tend to be ones that users customize highly, with many settings, and it takes many hours to get them back the way they belong (for that user of course).

IOW, I don't think true BMR is going away any time soon.

This describes my setup. It would take me hours to get my desktop back to where it was from a fresh install.  No probably days as I would forget what I had installed, how I set it up, where I got it from and where the relevant activation keys were. Obviously I'm living in the last century.

ikon

Adobe Cloud  is  Photoshop, Lightroom etc -   all the settings carry forward to a fresh install

ditto for Games on Steam, Google apps, Browser apps like lastpass

Let's assume for the moment that I don't want a monthly subscription, hate Steam, and refuse to use google products.

jmwills

This describes my setup. It would take me hours to get my desktop back to where it was from a fresh install.  No probably days as I would forget what I had installed, how I set it up, where I got it from and where the relevant activation keys were. Obviously I'm living in the last century.

You need to use Belarc

Al_Borges

Let's assume for the moment that I don't want a monthly subscription, hate Steam, and refuse to use google products.

Well, then  you need to reinstall your apps as you need them or  use a tool like paragon or acronis to make a "Fresh" backup image of your box once you have a new install setup just as you like it.

I take an image of any new box  right after updates and hardware drivers are set up  - and another image when I have it set up the way I want it with my software. 

For most folks -  even this is overkill -     My wife for example -   on her new laptop -  Picasa and Deluxe scrabble , besides setting her up with hotmail, homegroup, last pass and onedrive.    -  30 minutes after boot she was fine.  

A "Windows Home Server" style  Daily BMR image is not the only answer.   When you consider the time and cost in maintenance, -  not the right answer for many

ikon

There are different solutions for different situations. I just don't want proper BMR to go away. For security reasons I'm not a fan of online storage/backup.