RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Ubuntu to SSD in ODD bay with B120i RAID (1)

meow_for_cookies

Hello,
i recently bought a G8, though i have zero experience in the home server topic. After realizing very quickly, that one does not simply install the hardware components and linux (in my case Ubuntu), i spent days searching for information how to get this machine running quietly (a.k.a. B120i in RAID mode) and with UAC defined RAID 1 for two 3,5" drives as storage. Also i didn't want to put the os on an USB drive, for reliability reasons ...
The key to the problem seems to be HPVSA driver, which is installed from driver injection drive or with Ubuntu MaaS installation - both didn't work for me. The injection drive wasn't deteced and in MaaS mode it didn't install the driver, though it was loaded in the setup.

Anyway, i found this thread and aften a pm to the auther, he/she(? :) ) explained to me how to install the HP Raid driver for Ubuntu and suggested i post my resolution here to help future users.
So my setup is a 64GB SSD in the ODD bay, which connects to the SATA port, and two storage 3TB drives in the first two slots.

• all drives connected, boot the UAC and create a RAID 0 off of the SSD and RAID 1 from both 3.5" drives
  • still in the UAC set the SSD RAID 0 as primary boot device
  • shutdown and unplug the storage drives
  • boot Ubuntu live CD (i used the iLO remote console) and follow the installation steps
  • when asked for the partition to use, select whole partition
  • continue until it asks for the GRUB location, by default it should install to sda, but in my case i had to specify sdb, which is the SSD, otherwise it would fail
  • after GRUB is installed reboot
  • in Ubuntu installation proceed to install the HPVSA driver, i'll quote Royco on this part:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hp-iss-team/hp-storage
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hp-iss-team/hpvsa-update
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install hpvsa
    Next blacklist AHCI:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    add and save:
    blacklist = ahci
    sudo update-initramfs –u
    sudo reboot
  • the last reboot might not be required, though i guess it doesn't harm either
  • shutdown and plug in the two storage drives
  • next boot to Ubuntu, where you hopefully find two drives, of which the latter one is the RAID 1 AND the fans spin at 6% in idle

I hope this is helpful in some way

Appendix: Firmware version in use

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller	5.00
HP ProLiant System ROM	11/09/2013
HP ProLiant System ROM - Backup	11/09/2013
HP ProLiant System ROM Bootblock	02/04/2012
iLO	2.00 Jul 30 2014
Intelligent Provisioning	1.60.1
Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware	2.2.0.31.2
System Programmable Logic Device	Version 0x06
Edited by meow_for_cookies
  • Like 2

Btw, I see you've firmware:

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller    5.00

I still have 4.50 and can't find the firmware online. Did you update it yourself perhaps and can you point me in the right direction?

Edited by Royco

Btw, I see you've firmware:

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller    5.00

I still have 4.50 and can't find the firmware online. Did you update it yourself perhaps and can you point me in the right direction?

I used the auto update function inside Intelligent Provisioning, if i recall correctly.

Now I remember. This feature did not work for me. It was not able to contact the ftp.hp.com website.

Have you been to the first box in the Intelligent Provisionning ?

This will allow to "configure" the IP and so to select the right Ethernet card for IP to contact HP.com.

Nonetheless, I did so (by the way, iLO v2.03 is out) but I'm still stuck with firmware version to 4.10

HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i Controller 4.10

HP ProLiant System ROM 06/06/2014

HP ProLiant System ROM - Backup 11/09/2013

HP ProLiant System ROM Bootblock 02/04/2012

HP Smart Array P421 Controller 6.00

iLO 2.03 Nov 07 2014

Intelligent Provisioning 1.61.45

Server Platform Services (SPS) Firmware 2.2.0.31.2

System Programmable Logic Device Version 0x06

Edited by Gurv4n

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've just ordered the components, intending to do the exact same setup as the one listed here.

My question is, are all the details still applicable or are there new developments which mean I should be using a different set of steps?

Also, If i do not have an optical drive in my gen8, could I mount the ubuntu server iso onto a USB stick an boot from this easily enough?

Kind regards,

John