RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L + XPenology = Possibilities?

pandemonium

Wasn't sure where to raise this topic... Microserver Section (the hardware is N54L) or here (OS is XPenology). Didn't want to hijack ikon's thread either. Please feel free to move this thread, should you feel this is in the wrong thread.

So, I've just installed "XPenology DSM 5.0-4528 Update 1" on my N54L - without ESXi... i.e. barebones. Everything's working nice and am quite happy. However, I'd like to explore possibilities... what can I do with this server?

• Can I install a graphics card like the HP5450 and use it to play movies directly to the TV? If so, how do I install it? And how will XPenology recognise/work with it?
  • The DSM is supposed to be able to work with usb wifi adaptors... will it be able to work with one on the N54L? I see no reason why, but has anyone done this successfully? Why would I do that... its a server! Well perhaps I shouldn't, but, I'd still like to know :P.
  • Is there a card which has an audio out in addition to the HDMI port which works with the N54L (with XPenology).

Sorry if there are too many questions... I'm quite inquisitive :).

No apologies needed.

I installed the same version of DSM you have on an i5, 16GB RAM, 250GB Maxtor HDD, and Radeon 5450. All seems to be working properly, although I don't know if it's taking full advantage of the 5450 (i.e. I have not tried streaming any video or audio using it).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the same version of DSM you have on an i5, 16GB RAM, 250GB Maxtor HDD, and Radeon 5450 All seems to be working proerly, although I don't know if it's taking full advantage of the 5450 (i.3e. I have not trie3d streaming any video or audio using it.

i5...? On the HP Microserver? How did you upgrade the CPU? Is there a guide I can follow too?

I'm not after streaming actually... is it possible to PLAY video/audio on the Microserver and route the o/p through the video card to the TV? Something like what the PS3 would do.

I've also not managed to get an Asus usb wifi module working with the XPenology Microserver... nor a bluetooth one for that matter. The settings just simply keeps saying - Insert a USB Wifi Adaptor ... or Bluetooth adaptor... whichever the case be. Anyone managed to do this successfully?

No. Sorry, I installed XPEnology on a Gigabyte Z77 mobo in my test rig. Didn't mean to mislead you. I was replying specifically about XPEnology, since the forum is titled Synology.