RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please weigh in on these components for new WHS build

Joshua B

What do you think about these choices for a small form factor WHS machine? I figure down the road if I need more space I can always make this a HTPC. 4 drives seems like enough for a while though.

LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case - $129.99

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $104.99

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530 - $124.99

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 991585 - $57.99

Is it ok to run just one channel of memory? I'd like to have the opportunity to go to 4 gigs in the future...so add an extra stick later.

Thanks so much for your opinions.

Josh

Looks great. And except for the RAM and PS, your list is the same one I suggested as an alternative to Jim's build.

There's no problem running a single stick of RAM until you can afford another. That'll be fine.

The thing I'm really interested in is your choice of the LIAN LI PC-Q08B case. I just ordered one yesterday, so we'll have to compare notes. I'll be using it for a D510 Atom-based WHS build I'm putting together for my daughter. I'm psyched about this because I thought I was going to have to wait another few weeks to buy the case because it was out of stock everywhere. But it showed up on Newegg a couple days ago, so I snapped it up immediately. That blue LED may have to go, though. :)

This is an awesome setup. This is the case and board I would pick if I where building a small form factor. As for memory, if you shop around you can 4gig for about 30 buck more. Using one channel will greatly hinder your performance. So either get a 2 gig set or a 4 gig set. As for the PS, the enermax, they are good supplies, however if you can return it and get a modular supply you will be much happier in a small for factor case like this. Keep us posted on your build.

Ah, I see one minor problem. Only two fan headers - CPU and system - on your mobo, and mine. From looking at the PC-Q08B pics, it looks like we'll be hooking up one fan directly to the PS. That may be acceptable. Or mount a ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 Fan Controller inside the case, which may be better.

A modular power supply looks like the way to go. In fact, always! Thanks!

Regarding the case, I had heard the brand talked about on these forums as a premium case and then saw it mentioned on AnandTech's review of the Gigabyte motherboad. The case and motherboard seems like a match made in heaven. DVN, do you think this case and setup requires another fan?

No. The two-fan cooling setup looks good, especially for an HTPC based upon an i3 system.

Regarding the lack of enough fan headers on the mobos, I will first try hooking the system fans directly to the PS. But if the noise from fans continually running at full speed is too much, I'll pick up a fan controller and mount it in the front bay, if possible. This will be OK for me because I don't need an ODD in my WHS build. And I have a USB DVD burner should the need ever arise. If for some reason I can't mount a fan controller in the front bay, I'll go with the Zalmans I mentioned previously.

Can't wait to get this little case. This is going to be a fun build!

Since the fans on the lian li are very quiet and large, you have more than enough air flow in this case, not to mention the 120-140mm on most power supplies. The front fan and power supply are enough for a case this small. Real interested on your build of this. I have tried most lian li cases and I am just a fan. This is one I have not tried and look forward to hearing what you think of the build.

• 2 weeks later...

@Joshua B - I picked up a LIAN LI PT-FN02 Fan Speed Controller to solve the full speed fan problem. Works quite well, and I recommend buying one if you expect to have a free slot in the back of the case.

One of these 3-speed fan controllers controls up to 3 fans at the same time. There's quite a drop off in fan noise when switching from high (100%) to medium (80%). There doesn't seem to be much difference in noise between medium and low (65%) settings.