RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Laying Microserver on its side

tangcla

so I need to lay my Microserver on its side due to space restrictions - should I lay it one way or the other, does it make much (if any) difference?

It has a P222 in it.

Wow, the space must be tight.. The MicroServer is so close to being a cube that I can't imagine how tight the space must be that it has to lay on its side.

Wow, the space must be tight.. The MicroServer is so close to being a cube that I can't imagine how tight the space must be that it has to lay on its side.

Yes, yes it is... it's this Ikea storage unit that I'm managing to fit both my desktop and the Microserver in, plus the PS1810-8G and ADSL modem/router too. On its side there is a few mm of clearance at the top!

I cut out a large hole at the back and fitted a Noctua 140mm fan with a LV adaptor on it, to give some airflow to the cabinet - fan speed doesn't move at all, just sits on 11% which I'm pretty happy with. With the door closed, it's nearly silent.

Can't argue with the fan being at 11%, but I'm wondering how air gets into the cabinet?

There's a notch where the 'door handle' on the cabinet front. I felt the air from the fan outlet and it's not too hot.

Which reminds me, I should get some basic fan grilles, in the name of safety...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes, fan grills are a good idea.

The notch is good in the sense that it lets air inside. And, like i said, I can't argue with the temps you're getting. Still, it it was mine, I would be putting a thermometer in the cabinet, and moving it around every few days, just to check how even the temps are inside the cabinet.

My hand thermometer says it's reasonably even :P the dividing shelf has space at the front and back of the cabinet, and the exhaust fan is at the top center of the back board. I've positioned the computer on the side of the opening, so the air has to move around the far side of the case - so in theory the only possible stagnant airflow is at the top corners.