RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anybody noticing their backups stopped after some patches in October, with Backup status showing "Not set up"?

I am using SkipDomainJoin with Windows 7 HP (32 bit), Windows 8.1 Pro (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). All have had all updates including optional updates applied and I have not had this issue regarding client backups. I have 12 clients in total.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• tinkererguy

• Drashna Jaelre

• Jason Cobb

More than likely it is an sequencing issue.  It would be nice to know on the ones that failed, where DNS is pointing to for the primary and if there is a Secondary DNS source.  I believe that Paul points his to the router.

tinkererguy

Yeah, I don't have to mess with my client computer's DNS at all, ever since doing the steps I outlined here, late last year:

http://TinkerTry.com/how-to-make-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-client-connector-install-behave-just-like-windows-home-server

(so the DNS is DHCP-fed by the local routers, in the various family member's homes)

This is all rather mysterious indeed, and I'm finding the above dialogue very interesting. I still have to "clean-up" my backups configuration, waiting patiently until each (remote) system happens to be powered on, so I can take a few seconds to reconfigure the backups again, getting things back to normal.  I do hope this kind of breakage doesn't keep happening every few months.

I may open a trouble ticket on this, but in my experience with opening a "doozy" of an issue roughly once per year under MSDN, the pain that's involved with documenting and explaining such an issue to L1 support can be pretty rough, and resolution tends to take months, if ever.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the process for clearing WSE12R2 client backup history without having to uninstall/reinstall client connectors? 

For example, I've tried to stop the client backup service on the server, delete all files in \client computer backups folder and start the service.  The WSE12R2 correctly displays the online status of each client.  And that no backups are available under the properties of each client listed.  However the backup status of each client changes to UNKNOWN.

This only occurs after the service is stopped and the folder contents are deleted.  I am then unable to manually start any client backups from any machine or the server.  Even if I reboot any client or the server and retry a manual backup it fails.

I'm tired of dealing w/ client backup database corruption issues and simply want to clear my client backup history and start over.

I have to say database corruption is something I think I've only had once, a few years ago. I have to wonder what might be causing it.

I would say, rather than fight it, just uninstall & reinstall the Client Connector. I think it's just easier in the long run.

revengineer

I have had issues with backup when my external server drives went randomly offline when using a poor quality gigabyte motherboard usb3 ports.

• 5 weeks later...

I am using SkipDomainJoin with Windows 7 HP (32 bit), Windows 8.1 Pro (32 bit and 64 bit) and Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). All have had all updates including optional updates applied and I have not had this issue regarding client backups. I have 12 clients in total.

Sad to have to report that I have had this problem occur for me in the last 3 days. Last server update was on 14/12, so it doesnt appear to be connected to Windows updates.

Test your RAM. I had same issue and others recommended it. Turns out I had a DIMM go bad and was causing this exact issue. Since replaced and all good now.

Test your RAM. I had same issue and others recommended it. Turns out I had a DIMM go bad and was causing this exact issue. Since replaced and all good now.

I recall that --> memtest86 to the rescue :)