RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to specify a client should wakeup for backup in WHS 2011?

bondisdead

There used to be a check-box when configuring the client computer backups that specifies that you want the client computer to wake up for a backup. I no longer see that check-box. I have a new Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop, installed connector, but have not been given that option to wake up. as a result, even with laptop plugged in and in hibernate, it never wakes up do the backup. I have checked the logs, it just doesn't wake up. I looked in the Task scheduler, and there is a Windows Server Folder, followed by a Backup entry. Status is Ready, and it is supposed to trigger at 1:19am every day. It doesn't happen! The system is wireless, but I can initiate a manual backup wireless without issue. Under the Conditions, I see all the check marks for Power: Start if on AC Power, Stop if on Battery, Wake computer to run task.

Any ideas?!

First, what is the Last Run Result  for the Backup task?

Second, perhaps the task that's supposed to wake up the computer isn't working properly, or, perhaps the task is waking up the computer but, because it was Hibernating, the wireless isn't coming online quickly enough so the backup task errors out and quits. This is supported by the fact that you can run a manual backup (when the wireless is obviously already up and connected).

I recommend, to make things easier, that you temporarily change the launch time of the task to something earlier. Then, Hibernate the computer and watch it to see what happens at the designated time. Does the computer attempt to wake up? In the past I have done this by setting the task to run 5 minutes from now, just so I don't have to wait forever. Also, it means I can try to fix it and reschedule for another 5 minutes and check again.

If it turns out that it is a wireless connection issue, it might be possible to get it to work by using the If the task fails, restart every: option in the Settings tab of the task.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Sorry for the very delayed response, but things got busy. First off, I am not sure what you mean by your first statement: "What is the Last Run Result for the Backup task?". Where do I find this? On the server or laptop, and if so, where? Under services, or task scheduler? I have looked in both placed, and not found any logs.

Good idea on rescheduling the backup task. I did that, and the computer does indeed wake up. But a backup is never started. I have tried with both wireless and wired connections. The WHS 2011 Dashboard does not report any failures.

Looking at the backup task, what is the code displayed under the column heading "Last Run Result". It's in the same place where you looked to see that the task is scheduled to start 1:19 every day.

Ha, I found it! I just didn't see it because the Triggers column is so wide. I had to scroll over to the right to see Last Run Time and Last Run Result. It states Never for last run time and result is blank.

However, I looked at the same task Backup task on a desktop machine that gets backed up automatically regularly, and those fields show the same thing: Never for Last Run Time and <blank> for Last Run Result.

Crazy. There must be some software or specific Lenovo setting that is causing me headaches. I re-installed the connector, and got one automated backup at 2am. Thereafter, nothing. I tried setting it to wake up during normal time, and while it did, the backup did not start on it's own. no log messages that I could find.