RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Same server. New ISP. Server unable to connect to internet?

Jason

Hi - I just moved and am experiencing issues.  Old ISP was cable.  New ISP is DSL (ugh).  Cable modem with Sophos UTM (192.168.0.1) behind it acting as gateway.  My Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 box acted as both my home DHCP and DNS server with the Sophos UTM set under Windows DNS as forwarder (192.168.0.1).  Validated OK but name wouldn't resolve.  Don't think that was ever an issue.

After moving, I set my CenturyLink DSL modem to transparent bridge mode and put my Sophos UTM.  Cycled power on both devices.  Upon coming back up, I'm able to connect to internet from any wireless device on my network.  My ASUS RT-N66U router is set only to be a wifi Access Point and connects via LAN.  When I go to whatsmyip.com from any wireless device, it correctly shows my internet/WAN address and can access any sites.

However my WSE12R2 box that is connected via gigabit LAN cable to my switch is showing no internet access.  The WSE12R2 server has all same configuration it did prior to the move.  Static IP 192.168.0.5, netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.0.1 (static IP of my Sophos UTM gateway).  Under Windows DNS for my home server (server.miles.local), I have the DNS forwarder still set to 192.168.0.1 which is the static IP of my Sophos UTM gateway.  Also my WSE12R2's DNS is set to 192.168.0.5 and not 127.0.0.1 because it must be set to 192.168.0.5 for DirectAccess functionality to work correctly.

All local devices are able to communicate via gigabit speeds to each other via the LAN using their previous static IP addresses.  Though each LAN client is set to DHCP.  So it appears the DHCP config on my WSE12R2 server is still working correctly.

Yet somehow it still appears the WSE12R2 is unable to access any external sites.  Also, any device on the local LAN that is connected via an Ethernet cable too is unable to access the internet.  It appears somehow the Server and the local LAN clients are somehow are unable to access DNS?  I've rebooted the server, Sophos UTM and DSL modem numerous times, without success.

What if anything can I do to remedy?  Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks jmwillis.  Yes, I've tried that (ipconfig /flushdns) and restarted the server without success.  I'm unable to browse any web address -- even www.google.com -- from the server itself and it shows the yellow yield symbol over the network icon in the bottom right system tray.

How are the hard wired devices connected? How is the switch connected to the network? It really sounds like the switch has no connection to the Internet. You've already said that no devices connected via Ethernet cable have Internet access. If they're all connected to that switch, then I think it's the switch that has the issue.

Ikon, each Ethernet cable runs back to a 24 port gigabit switch.  One cable runs from a LAN port on back of DSL modem into the WAN port on back of Sophos UTM (Sophos UTM reports internet uplink connection OK).  Another cable runs out from the LAN port of my Sophos UTM into the 24 port gigabit switch.

Once I'm back at the house, I'll double-check 1.) that the cable from the Sophos UTM LAN port is securely connected into the switch and 2.) will swap out the Ethernet cable between the Sophos UTM LAN and switch to be safe.  I'd love nothing more than for this to be the issue! :-) 

Yep, I missed that tidbit.  This looks like a switch issue or at least the cable from from the router to the switch.

Yes, as soon as I get home this evening and am physically near network I certainly will.

I hope you're all onto something. A loose or worn cable would be a blessing! I have been moving my switch around quite a bit as I've been wiring my panel. Anything is possible.

Thanks for the quick suggestions!