RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Skype headsets and microphones

cskenney

Since this weeks episode had a couple of forum members join Dave on the podcast, I am curious what equipment others are using with Skype? I need to purchase some hardware and I am looking for a recommendation.

I realize that bandwidth plays a role with Skype sound quality, but it still seems like some people sound better than others.

Plantronics .Audio 655 USB Multimedia Headset is the one I use and the one Leo Laporte recommends to his guests. It is the best for the money that I have used and I have tried a lot of them. You should be able to find it for about $30.

When I did the TimeTraveler podcast with JohnI used the mic in my monitor. Not a good choice.

What is the story on Leo Laporte. I know he hosts windows weekly and it seems he does others and possibly even radio. Anyone have details on him?

That twit page hasn't been updated since 2006!

My mic Here is what I use. I like it because I can tap the audio right off of the mic and run it to my headphones. That way there is no lag of the processed audio going through the PC. The drivers allow you to run the audio straight through the mic and to the headphones so you can hear everything.

Guest no-control

On our podcasts we each have a different mic.

Mike - (PC Doc) is using a Blue Yeti

Tim Deleo - (Daleo1) is using the same mic as Dave M-Audio Producer

Michael - (no-control) I'm using the more portable Samson Go Mic

I should footnote that these mics are only used on episode 3 and after. For episode 1 & 2 I was just using a Logitech G330 and PC Doc was using a Sennheiser PC151

• Like 1

Good records. I will add that I also have the other two as well (Samson, and M-audio). Experimented with all and like all but the blue yeti is a bit clearer and has a great stand. I kept the M-Audio for a backup and the Samson I keep in my laptop case as it is very small and it great for portability in case I get the need for podcasting or skype while on the road.