RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
manphil

WD Reds 2TB, not recognized in bios....

manphil

hi folks,

HP N40L, stock bios from original purchase some years ago.

have been running a mix of Samsung and WD Greens,

Stock config, except running the 250Gig boot drive in the OOD area ,off the internal SATA.

Decided to move some new-ish WD reds 2TB from another box in to the N40L

BIOS refuses to accept the WD Reds  ....says a device error in the POST screens for what ever port a WD red is connected to.

""press F1 to continue"

WHS2011 can not see the drives in DiskManagement.

If I drop the WD reds in to another PC (GA-Z77XUD5 mother board), they can be initialized and formatted as I please.

In another PC, if I turn on S.M.A.R.T. check on boot, the WD reds will fail ...turn this option off...and can access the drive in Windows no probs.

If I run the WD Lifeguard to check the REDS .....they are PERFECT!!.

...any suggestions??

Phil.

schoondoggy

I would update the BIOS to the latest HP BIOS.

What were the drives formatted as in the system they came out of?

Have you tried completely wiping the disks?

manphil

Thanks schoondoggy,

After a bit more reading, realised there was a recent update the official HP bios.

I assume it is an issue with the Advanced Format drives.   ..maybe.

Yeah, tried formatting / wiping the partition in other MBs.   also tried full delete in Diskpart

So tried no partition, NTFS partition / MBR and GPT.    ....all makes no difference.

Now with HP closing off access to their BioS updates  .....where can I source the firmware file ???

Or ...would the modified by community BIOS do the trick???

Phil.

p.s.  Should have mentioned in the original post.   I have a 4 disk enclosure hanging off the eSata port.   ......just had a thought  ....... I did not try disconnecting this ??? 

ikon

I don't have an immediate answer for you, but I can verify one thing for certain: WD 2TB Red drives do work in N40L MicroServers.

I set up a configuration on an N40L, running WHS2011, that had the OS installed on a pair of mirrored 500GB drives and kept all the data on a pair of mirrored WD Red 2TB drives. There were zero issues with the system recognizing any of the drives.

I need to point out that I did install the modded BIOS on the N40L. I'm not sure the modded BIOS was necessary; I just want to be clear on what I did.

manphil

Enabling this While doing some research on replacement SATA HBA cards came across this reference in one of the Highpoint documents.

With respect of the BIOS setup GUI...

Staggered Drive Spin-up - Enabling this setting will instruct the card to power up the hard disks, sequentially (one disk approximately every 2 seconds).

Not all disks support this setting

Warning: Western Digital hard disk do not support this setting. Enabling this setting is not recommended. If enabled, these disks may not be detected by non-raid controllers

The doco for my 1740 card did not have this warning ...but the newer 2720 doco does.

As my WD reds have been on a Highpoint 1740 card for some months with Staggered spin-up  on ...my issue might be related ...together with old BIOS/motherboards issues.

.....interesting warning about WD disks  ...wonder how many get returned because of this?

Phil

Edited by manphil

ikon

You may be on to something. I wonder what might happen if you were to move the WDs back to the i740 and switch it to non-staggered-start. After starting it up with the WDs attached, shut it down and move them back to the N40L.

manphil

Hi ikon,

"get outa my head" ........yeah on it.

..but in my frustration before reading above doc .....I have started re-purposing drives back to operational status.

The N40L has the original mix of drives back inside with WHS2011 Dynamic disk raid 5 build happening together with a file copy ...so things are going s l o w l y there  ..as is things do in that space.  Copy from external RAID box is at 5 MB/s  ....as the parity build is happening as well.

The 4 disk set of WD reds are back in the original PC .....but this time I am playing with a Win8 Storage Space  ...large file copy happening there as well. Copy from internal standard SATA Disk to Storage Space is at 20MB/s  ...acceptable for my needs.

I have disabled the staggered spin up on the Highpoint 1740.      ......want try at least one of the WD reds in the N40L  ... but will mean disrupting  the file copies and parity builds.. ......

...aaaarh well !!..it's in the name of science ...... .(only my time at risk)

...stay tuned.

Phil.   

ikon

LOL, look forward to seeing the results. :)

manphil

Ok  ,,,,sorry about the delay  ...real life got in the way.

In between finding out about the above issue with the highpoint  controller cards, I had purchased  WD Red 3TB drive and stuck that on the controller as well ...

....so potentially bricking another good hard drive  ...lol     ......smoking gun in hand  ..hole in foot!!

I turned off the staggered spin-up setting and removed the WD red 3TB ......plonked it in the N40L   and it booted up and gave me an empty partition to be formatted in the disk management panel  ....waaaaahooooo !!!   ...looks like the situation IS reversible.

Removed the 3TB drive

Dropped one of the original 'problematic'  WD Red 2TB .....in to the N40L ...and all good.

The remaining 3 WD Red 2 TB now in the HP N40L .....and spinning like they should.   ..all  showing up in disk management.

WIN     WIN   WIN

All in the name of science and a quiet a few hours of me pulling my hair out (note: this is a limited resource)

This small step for a single man ...brought to you by Western Digital and Highpoint Technologies Inc.

ikon

Great to hear.