RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 Blinking red light

nandersen

I have had a Gen8 microserver for a few months.  A couple of days ago, the normally solid blue light at the bottom, switched to a blinking red.  At that point, I can't access the server directly or remotely.  It seems "frozen".  I have Server 2011 installed.  I can manually restart the server, and everything seems to work normally.  This is happening roughly once a day.  Any thoughts or advice on a solution?  I have no idea what could be causing the problem.  The unit is not in a place that it is getting too hot.  Thanks.

I spent a little time looking through the event viewer and didn't notice anything that stood out to me as a cause to my problem.  Any suggestions on what to look for?

I spent a little time looking through the event viewer and didn't notice anything that stood out to me as a cause to my problem.  Any suggestions on what to look for?

Did you look in the Windows Event Viewer or iLo?

Log in to ILO and check the integrated management log, there u should get a hint on what's wrong.

If you have not, log into iLo and check there.

If the server is still under warranty, I would open a case with HP support and send them the iLo log info.

Is the server updated to the latest BIOS and firmware?

Did you add memory or any add in cards?

Yeah, it might be time to reduce the system to the bare essentials, just to make sure there isn't a core hardware issue. Disconnect all disk drives and remove any add-in cards. Attach a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If the system has a CD/DVD drive, boot from a Linux Live Distro and see if the red light goes away.