RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

question about client backups and default policy...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• tswalker

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

well... On this workstation (workgroup), I installed the connector and yes, it indeed was joined to the domain and the first action it performed was a backup. (I had not changed the policy at that time).

One interesting thing after installing the connector, it retained my local accounts and profiles from the workgroup configuration, so I was able to "switch" between domain logon and local logon with no issues.

I removed the "update" (which is now listed as under Programs and Features > Installed Updates, in Windows 8.1) and upon reboot, the system was immediately returned to workgroup... I did not have to rejoin, nor remove it from the Dashboard (though its' object was still listed under Devices, but easily removed).

There was no need in my case to use a restore point, which was nice.

I'll be testing the policy tomorrow on a different workstation to see how it works out.

Today I finished setting up the VDI, and will have some results hopefully by the end of the week regarding VDI performance with the GT 730 in the N54L...

Edited by tswalker

It's normal that the clients retain the local user profiles. Joining the Domain should create a new profile, one that uses the same root name for the ID as the ID that was logged in when the computer was joined to the Domain, but adds the Domain name to it.

The problem people have with this process is that none of the installed programs and such get moved over or copied to the new Domain Profile. So, you get a non-Domain computer all set up with preferences, installed programs, Internet favourites, etc., etc., and then you join the computer to a Domain and lose all of that. It's a royal PITA. You have no idea how many times MS has been asked, cajoled, threatened, and pleaded with to provide a means of migrating a Local User ID to a Domain User ID.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, Windows 7 has the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard that would do this. But Microsoft in their infinite wisdom with Windows 8, decided to stop supporting it......

However, there is also the "User State Migration Tool" if you don't mind a headache.

actually.. I have to recant my remarks about it returning to a workgroup, it remained in the domain as did it's object in OU. Which is interesting... I only discovered this after removing the machine from the dashboard, and after rebooting the workstation, was no longer able to launch server manager using the domain account I created to manage it. (received Kerberos errors)

While it was domain joined (before removing the connector software), it wasn't a big deal though to switch between local and domain account logon to it... but I agree ikon, it is definitely annoying not having a profile migration.

I haven't looked at the state migration tool....

Edited by tswalker

Well, Windows 7 has the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard that would do this.

Unfortunately, all WET does is give you a list of programs you need to reinstall. Gee, MS, thanks a bunch....... NOT!

Drashna Jaelre

Yes, but if it's on the same computer (such as migrating a local profile to a domain profile), then there is no need to reinstall the software. 

Which was sort of my point.

Also, if it's a domain, a lot of software supports GPO Deployment, or there are scripts that can be used to install it. Which makes the entire process dead simple. (like Chrome, for example)

Yes, the software is still on the computer, but the Domain profile doesn't know about, at least that's been our experience. Sure there are ways you can work around this, but it's a PITA if you've got a bunch of machines to do. Maybe I'm just missing something.....

That was simple. Adding the policy via registry on the server works... after connector installation, it does not automatically backup the system until I set it up in dashboard.