RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

question about client backups and default policy...

tswalker

I read here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn236868.aspx

that...

"By default, all the client computers connected to Windows Server Essentials have Client Backup turned on. To change this default behavior, set the user registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\Deployment\ClientBackupOff to 1. All the new client computers connected to Windows Server Essentials will not automatically be backed up to Windows Server Essentials, unless the administrator configures it on the Dashboard."

I really want to control this policy, as I do not want to automatically kick-off a backup once the connector is installed and grab all volumes. Would be nice to control which ones.

Do I need to set this policy for the clients, or do I set this policy on the server?

it says "user" registry key, which confused me into thinking I need to deploy a GPO to the users. Is this the case, or do I just add this on the server?

Edited by tswalker

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• ikon

• tswalker

Are all the clients joined to the domain? You could create another OU for the mschines you don't want to be backed up immediately and apply the appropriate GPO, and then move them over tl the default OU.

The clients are not in the domain yet, so I had hoped to easily kill a few birds with that stone by just having them install the connector.

I'm guessing then that this registry setting can be applied via GPO to the container for the machines, and once they've joined and show up in the dashboard, (as long as they're online) I can enable backup for them and select the volumes through the admin panel?... am I thinking this through correctly?

I'll be giving it a go this week sometime, but just thought I'd ask about this particular part to see if I'm understanding it correctly.

Edited by tswalker

I agree the description is confusing. I can't help thinking that the setting must be on the server if, as it says, all future clients will have automatic backup disabled by default.

I didn't think that backups started immediately but waited for the next scheduled task.  And yes, if you right click the client in the dashboard, you should be able to modify the backup properties, i.e., deselect volumes.

I agree the description is confusing. I can't help thinking that the setting must be on the server if, as it says, all future clients will have automatic backup disabled by default.

I would agree, that is the impression I am getting. If it stated "To change this default behavior, set the server registry key...", it would be much more clear.

I'll try it on the server first and redeploy to the workstation.

This is for the server side, specifically, and only applies to new clients. Existing clients will continue with their setup, as per normal.

I guess the question then is how can an existing client be reverted to a non-client so it can have the Connector installed again without joining the Domain.

• Remove the client via the dashboard
  • Join the client back to a workgroup
  • Make sure the Connector software has been removed

or

Go to a Restore Point if this was changed recently.