RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Segate 6TB 4kn ST6000NM0004 in Gen 8 (success)

crjw

I just joined this forum to say that I have successfully installed a Segate 6TB 4kn disk in slot 3 of  an HP Gen 8 Microserver.

For anybody unfamiliar with the term "4kn", it means that the disk has a 4kb native sector size that is exposed to the OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#4K_native

I am running CentOS 6.5;  the OS is installed on existing disks in slot 1 and 2.

I created a ZFS pool on the new 6TB disk, but I have not done any serious testing yet.

My plan is to obtain a 2nd identical disk and upgrade to CentOS 7.

I don't believe that grub2 supports booting 4kn disks on non-EFI systems;  so I have no plans to try booting from the new disk.

The "parted" command gives me a warning that I am not too concerned about.

Based on some testing I did with Virtualbox, I believe that the warning will disappear after I upgrade to CentOS 7.

# parted -s /dev/sdc  print
Warning: Device /dev/sdc has a logical sector size of 4096.  Not all parts of GNU Parted support this at the moment, and the working code is HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL.
Model: ATA ST6000NM0004-1FT (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 6001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      8389kB  6001GB  6001GB               zfs
 9      6001GB  6001GB  67.1MB

# zpool list big
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
big   5.44T   612K  5.44T     0%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

-crjw

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I added a second ST6000NM0004, reconfigured the system and installed CentOS 7.  All went well.

I mentioned earlier that grub2 does not support booting from a 4kn disk.

I could have booted from my older disks which are now in slot 3 and 4, but I refrained from doing that because I plan to move the older disks  to another system.

• I have two cheap SanDisk Cruzer Fit memory sticks installed; one is in the internal USB slot, the other is in an external USB slot.
  • The 4kn ST6000NM0004 drives are now in slot 1 and 2
  • BIOS is configured in AHCI mode.
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • The memory sticks and the hard drives are all partitioned with GPT partition tables.
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Partition 1 on both memory sticks is configured as a bios_boot partition for grub2.
  • My /boot file system is mirrored between partition 2 on both memory sticks using Linux md raid1.
  • Swap is mirrored between partition 1 on both new hard drives using Linux md raid1
  • The root file system (/) is mirrored between partition 2 on both new hard drives using Linux md raid1.
  • Everything else is mirrored across partition 3 of both new hard drives using ZFS.
  • Like 1