RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD setup for Hyper-V

Homer-S

You could get an 80GB SSD drive for around $50  which will more than suffice for the OS.  I use that along with three Samsung EVO drive (250 gig each) in a RAID 1 for the VM's and a WD Black for the Data drives I need to mount to those VM's. 

I can run 8 VM's with an i5 2550 and barely top out over 15% CPU.  My limitation is memory.  Not quite ready to step up to a board that will hold 64 gigs of RAM.

This reminds me I need a better strategy for my Hyper-V VMs. I run 2 on an older 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD. 1 is my torrent VM, the other is my Plex Media Server. They seem to have light I/O since they're reading and writing to virtual network shares hosted in the host OS (\\server).

I can't help worrying that using an flash drive as the system drive will lead to burnout of the flash drive. I know there are situations where it's OK, but it still makes me worry.

Microsoft has a guide on running from USB, actually.

One of the big things is that you need to disable the page file. Obviously. To help prevent burnout.

Microsoft has a guide on running from USB, actually.

One of the big things is that you need to disable the page file. Obviously. To help prevent burnout.

I think you mean Flash Drive, but I get it and, yeah, no kidding, no page file ;)