RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MicroSD Slot - what to do with it?

Homer-S

Hello again,

I knew about the MicroSD slot but I have no idea what it is good for or how I could use it.

Thanks for your help and hints

Ah ok,

Would this also work with Hyper V?

And if I plug a MicroSD card in, which dirve do I have to select for boot and will it be appear as a "normal" drive in diskmanager etc?

You need to be careful here. Do not use a MicroSD card to hold a Windows OS, or any other OS that writes to the system drive frequently; it will burn out the SD card quickly.

I've used micro sd (or usb, pretty same thing, micro SD having less components, it may be less likely to turn badly)

- Esxi

- Use it to store a boot partition to boot from ODD drive in AHCI mode

- You could use it to store an OS, say linux, but you'd need to store some os parts from other locations, tweak logs, etc... expert stuff but doable.

After reading a lot and testing ESXi 5.5 in a virtualbox VM I am pretty sure I will not go for ESXi. It seems that they changed there licensing system. You can only customize and setup new VMs for 60 days without purchasing a license.

Next to test would be Hyper-V (stucked with connecting from Win7 to server; account issue seems to be the point) or Xenserver.

Would it be possible to run Xenserver on a SD card or is there the same issue as Hyper-V?