RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dvn

Audiobooks

dvn

I have a subscription to Audible.com. Love it. I thought I'd see what audiobooks other folks have enjoyed listening to. I'll start it off with three of my current favorites.

Stieg Larsson -

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Daniel Suarez -

Daemon

Freedom ™

Richard Feynman -

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

unrealshots

I'm currently listening to Stephen Fry read the Harry Potter Series...

I own at least 2000 real books (feels that way when we moved house), and I am a huge advocate of e-books as well, looking at the moment for a good/great ebook app for Android, that I can import my own library into.

Edited by unrealshots

pcdoc

I love it when I had it but I ended up canceling as they are limited in Tech books. Great service though.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Aome of these may not be very manly, but they are all top notch; six stars on a five star scale type.

Blink

Brain Rules

A Briefer History of Time

Einstein

Lone Survivor

Out of Captivity

The Pillars of the Earth

World Without End

A Short Histor of Nearly Everything

The Tipping Point

I have listend to each of these at least twice.

Alvin Ramard

I love it when I had it but I ended up canceling as they are limited in Tech books. Great service though.

Unfortunately, tech books is the only books I have time for these days.

dvn
Blink

A Short History of Nearly Everything

Yes, I read and enjoyed both of these. I read the abridged version of Short History of Nearly Everything, which was narrated by the author Bill Bryson. Very enjoyable. I liked it so much that I think it should be required reading for high school students.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes, I read and enjoyed both of these. I read the abridged version of Short History of Nearly Everything, which was narrated by the author Bill Bryson. Very enjoyable. I liked it so much that I think it should be required reading for high school students.

I agree on it being mandatory in high school.

mrossco

Unfortunately, tech books is the only books I have time for these days.

Funny enough, that's why I subscribed to Audible in the first place. I have a Safari membership for all the tech reading I can take, but Audible lets me enjoy what I used to read for fun. It started as something I could listen to on my way to work, but some books (the Laarson titles included) have gotten so captivating that I'll listed to them at the gym.

I signed up using Leo Laporte's code for a free book.

dvn

Funny enough, that's why I subscribed to Audible in the first place. I have a Safari membership for all the tech reading I can take, but Audible lets me enjoy what I used to read for fun. It started as something I could listen to on my way to work, but some books (the Laarson titles included) have gotten so captivating that I'll listed to them at the gym.

Yes. I couldn't agree more. I had been listening to a lot of other types of podcasts and got to the point where I was starting to get a little tired of keeping track of all the stuff going on in the world each day. These other books were a welcome break from all that.

Jazman

Up until about 3 or so years ago, I was a diehard audiobook listener (exclusively unabridged). I started with Books On Tape back around 1990 and would read/listen/consume about 100 books per year on average. With a long work commute and regular listening when working on things around the house, it wasn't that difficult to make that happen. I was a solid customer so they would regularly offer me package deals on rental credits which was about $5 a book. Between that and my library, it worked well. As CDs became the format, I switched over to that.

In the 90's, Books On Tape was purchased by Random House which then later dropped the rental business. So, it was mainly the library. I went to Recorded Books all-you-can-eat rental service for a while.

A few years ago, podcasts really took off and that is where my listening time diverted to. I would occasionally find time for a book, but those that saw my podcast subscription list in another thread can see I've got plenty to listen to there. But, some of those podcasts have been recently canceled or changed significantly, so maybe I will get to go back to books.

Now, with Overdrive being offered by most library systems, I'd be hard pressed to go to Audible. But, their selection is much greater and you don't have to wait. With Overdrive and the library system, you might have to wait weeks for the best seller.

dvn- I've heard about the Stieg Larrson books recently, what did you think of those?

Keith