RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
veskojl

ESXi on Microserver Gen8

veskojl

Hi Guys,

I need some help on my ESXi setup. Just bought a HP Microserver Gen8 (Intel Celeron G1610T), loaded it with 16GB of RAM, 4x3TB WD Red and another spare 320GB drive. Then I've installed ESXi 5.5.0 on the 320GB drive, but this is where the dilemmas have started:

0. I see a lot of you guys are running the ESXi from an USB/SD Cards, so

I'm not sure if there is any advantage/disadvantage of running the ESXi from the 320GB drive?!

1. The USB support - I've check that the "Celeron G1610T" doesn't support VT-d, so I'm concerned if they'll be available to the guests at all and what will be the eventual transfer speeds

2. I've configured the 4 WD drives into 3 RAIDs - 1xRAID1 + 2xRAID0, using the built in B120i controller. The problem here is that I want to configure RDM, skipping the VMFS format, just in case I change my opinion and install a single OS.

First, I'm not sure if RDM depends on the VT-d, how to configure it and does it worth at all. How is this going to work with the B120i controller?

3. Do I need link aggregation, or should I dedicate a NIC per VM?

How/where to configure the link aggregation, in the ESXi host, the Guest or this should be a feature of the HP tools?

Any advice or tips that could save me time&troubles are appreciated.

Basically I need to run two VMs - WHS 2011 and one Linux box, but not sure which hypervisor is better for my needs - ESXi or Hyper-V.

Thanks in advance!

Homer-S

Hello veskojl,

I can not help you but I have nearly the same questions. I am coming from the opposite way I already run a WHS2011 Server and think about a visualization. Looking forward to the answers to your questions.

Homer-S

OK, I read a lot in the past to find the best free solution.

This is what I found out:

ESXi 5.5 is free but the vCenter allows you only 60 days creating/modifying your Virtual Machines and it has strict Hardware restrictions (5.1 is still free)

Hyper-V 2008 can be managed by Win7

Hyper-V 2012 can be only managed by Win8 or higher ... this was a blocking point for me

Xenserver

Last one seems to be a good solution

ikon

My understanding is Xenserver is quite demanding on memory: i.e. you need lots of it.

I'm wondering why Win8 is a no-go for you.

Homer-S

It is running at the moment in a Virtualbox and it is using around 400MB Ram, how much is Hyper-V using?

I only have Win 7 Licenses.

And I tried it once at a friends PC and I hated nearly everything :) It means translated: I found nothing where I expected it ...

Edited by Homer-S

ikon

You might find Win8.1 much more to your liking - you can go straight to the Desktop,

veskojl

Thank you guys, but these comments don't help me much :)

snapper

OK, I read a lot in the past to find the best free solution.

This is what I found out:

ESXi 5.5 is free but the vCenter allows you only 60 days creating/modifying your Virtual Machines and it has strict Hardware restrictions (5.1 is still free)

5.5 is still free, you need to use the windows vsphere client to manage it rather than vcenter.

I've moved away from esxi due to the inability to spin down disks.

Currently trying proxmox...

jackwong64

Hi Veskojl,

I would like to invest on a home virtual server but I would like to know how much is the virtual OS software?

Would you mind to share the budget for your setup? Thank you.

chickenlip007

Install & Boot the Esxi from the USB or SD card, makes the re-install or removal / addition of other spare drives a breeze :)