RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yud

Problems with P410 and Seagate ST3000DM001 HDD's

schoondoggy

I am running WHS 2011 on a N54l with a P410 with 4 Seagate 2TB Constellation SAS drives in a RAID5. It has run for more than a year with no issues.

yud

I am running WHS 2011 on a N54l with a P410 with 4 Seagate 2TB Constellation SAS drives in a RAID5. It has run for more than a year with no issues.

Thanks @schoondoggy, but I'm looking for info from people who run 2 x RAID1 arrays (i.e. not RAID5...)

yud

Now I am at a complete loss!

I decided to try the 3TB WD red's so I borrowed one from a friend and replaced one of the Seagate drives. The array was rebuilt, the system ran well for a week, all good.

So I went and bought 2 x WD Red's (3TB). First I tried to repace the borrowed WD Red but things went wrong, then they went wrong with the other drive, (practically everything, one after the other) and I lost all data on the 3TB array. A bit painful but I have backup of most.

So I deleted the array, installed the 2 new Red's, created a new RAID1 array and started reinstallin Xpenology. Half an hour later the vSphere client showed both drives as "unknown". The hpssacli utility showed both drives as "failed" (Last Failure Reason: Hot plug start unit failed).

So I went through the entire process again, deleted the array, shut down th Microserver, re-inserted the drives, created a new array, etc.

Half an hour later both drives are showing as "failed"!

Now I don't really know what to do. 2 different P410 controllers, 2 different brands of drives, same behaviour.

The strange thing is that I never had these problems with the Adaptec 2405 in my N54L. Might have to put it back and give up on running XPEnology :(

Edited by yud

yud

An update:

Out of ideas and out of desperation I pulled out the Pico P/S and installed the original HP P/S.

When I booted I checked the ACU and found that the 2 x WD Reds, which were prior to the shutdown in a state of "failed", are now showing OK.

So I booted all my VM's, including XPEnology which uses the 3TB array, and the system is running for nearly an hour.

Will post another update when there is one.

ikon

Isn't the HP PSU 150 watts?

I was just thinking of something else too. A lot of people warn about checking the 12V rail power on PSUs; that it's often too little. I wonder if that's what's happening to  you. IOW, the Pico PSU may have enough total watts, in theory, but not enough on one of the rails, most likely the 12V since that's the one I keep reading about.

• Like 1

yud

I was just thinking of something else too. A lot of people warn about checking the 12V rail power on PSUs; that it's often too little. I wonder if that's what's happening to  you. IOW, the Pico PSU may have enough total watts, in theory, but not enough on one of the rails, most likely the 12V since that's the one I keep reading about.

Thanks @ikon

Do you have a link to the 12v issue you describe?

My Pico is only 120w but I never thought power was a problem since I mesured power consumption of the N54L and found overall consumption to be between 67w and 75w.

I am not concluding yet that it was the P/S. Based on my history with this issue I may have to wait for a few months and/or perform test array rebuilds (which I'm currently very very reluctant to do!)

ikon

Sorry, I don't have a link. IIRC, it was almost always about video cards; trying to make sure the PSU had enough 12V wattage to properly power the GPU.

It will be interesting to see if the HP PSU keeps working OK. Of course, the real test would be to put the Pico PSU back in and reproduce the problem, but you're probably a little reluctant to do that ;)

schoondoggy

Excellent question!