RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yud

Problems with P410 and Seagate ST3000DM001 HDD's

yud

OK, another update:

The replacement P410 has been running with 4 x HDD's for about half hour. This is the longest I had it running with 4 drives since the problem started. I added the 2 x 3TB RAID1 array as a datastore in ESXi and so far so good. The 3TB drives are not making the noise I described in my initial post.

My only concern is the firmware level of the P410. Currenly on 6.0, which from what I understand may have issues with 3TB HDD.

Would you guys recommend leaving as is? Or should I upgrade to 6.60 before creating my Xpenology storage volume?

ikon

My first question would be whether it's possible to flash back to the 6.0 firmware. If it is, then there should be no issue upgrading to 6.60. If it doesn't work, just revert to 6.0.

yud

My first question would be whether it's possible to flash back to the 6.0 firmware. If it is, then there should be no issue upgrading to 6.60. If it doesn't work, just revert to 6.0.

I found version 6.0 available for download here: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3883931&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D0%257CswItem%253DMTX_566c6c69f6894217b623b247a3%257CswEnvOID%253D54%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D3%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

However, I do not know if the HP SPP (or any of the HP Soft Pack installers) allow downgrade. If anyone has info or experience regarding this I will appreciate the advice.

In the meantime the N54L is running for about 15 hours with 4 x drives connected to the P410. I created the Xpenology RDM, volume and shares. Overnight I copied about 850GB to the Xpenology storage (which lives on the 2 x 3TB array), i.e. constant write access to the disks, and so far so good - all is well.

I think I can conclude it was a dud P410 which was causing the problem.

For now I will leave the P410 on firmware 6.0 until I find if I can downgrade from 6.60 back to 6.0

Thanks everyone for the advice! It was a strange problem and I'm glad it's sorted (for now... )

ikon

While I'm glad it's working for you now, it's still not certain what was causing the problem.

You know that the new P410, with v6.0 firmware, seems to be working well. You don't know if the new P410, with v6.6 firmware, will work. You also don't know if the old P410, with v6.0 firmware, will work.

I don't know if you're up for doing all that testing, but I'm sure the info would help others.

yud

While I'm glad it's working for you now, it's still not certain what was causing the problem.

You know that the new P410, with v6.0 firmware, seems to be working well. You don't know if the new P410, with v6.6 firmware, will work. You also don't know if the old P410, with v6.0 firmware, will work.

I don't know if you're up for doing all that testing, but I'm sure the info would help others.

Agree 100%

Happy to do the testing and report here. I just need to be 100% sure that I can revert from 6.60 to 6.0 in the event I have issues with 6.60

I tried to get this info from HP but they just refer me to the installation instructions of 6.60 on their web site, which is not helpful.

They did say I cannot perform the downgrade with HP SPP, which currently is my only method of upgrading the firmware (as I'm running ESXi on the N54L and don't have another machine with appropriate PCIe slot). So I'm kind of stuck...

ikon

Agree 100% about being certain of downgradability before proceediing.

arbeedub

On an interactive SPP installation you have a 'force' option to apply the SPP firmware.  If using an older SPP, it should let you downgrade the component.

If it breaks again, get them to swap it out again?

yud

OK, another update:

The replacement P410 has been running with 4 x HDD's for about half hour. This is the longest I had it running with 4 drives since the problem started. I added the 2 x 3TB RAID1 array as a datastore in ESXi and so far so good. The 3TB drives are not making the noise I described in my initial post.

My only concern is the firmware level of the P410. Currenly on 6.0, which from what I understand may have issues with 3TB HDD.

Would you guys recommend leaving as is? Or should I upgrade to 6.60 before creating my Xpenology storage volume?

After 2½ months of running smoothly without any storage issues I came home today to find... storage issues!

Very quickly I found the problem is back! The logical drive on the 2x3TB Seagate HDD's has disappeared from ESXi and during a reboot of the Microserver I got the dreaded error message "F1 to disable the logical drive, F2 for data loss". In addition, the "grinding"-like noise which I described in my initial post was back!

After pulling 1 x 3TB HDD out and a bit of fiddling I managed to get the Microserver to boot properly, with ESXi running, all VM's running and connected to storage. The "grinding"-like noise is gone.

But that's with one HDD missing in the RAID1 array.

So I'm starting to think the problem is not with the P410 as such, but rather with my combination of N54L + P410 (512M & BBWC) + 2 x RAID1 arrays which are:

2 x Seagate 1TB ST31000524AS

2 x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001

Is it worth trying to replace the Seagate 3TB drives with a different brand? Perhaps WD Reds?

(I can't afford new HDD's at the moment so I can't just go and buy and try...)

The 3TB array is used for:

NFS file sharing/storage. Used ocassionally.

Media storage.

Plex - streaming the occassional movie (gigabit network). Also straeming photos 24x7 to a LAN PC

With this usage is there any advantage in getting NAS HDD's?

Will appreciate any advice.

Y.

ikon

These days, I only use NAS rated drives on RAID cards. I find there's just too much chance of having drives drop out otherwise. I personally like WD Red drives, but other members have had good luck with other makes/models.

yud

These days, I only use NAS rated drives on RAID cards. I find there's just too much chance of having drives drop out otherwise. I personally like WD Red drives, but other members have had good luck with other makes/models.

Thanks ikon.

Anyone here runs the N54L with the P410 controller and 2 x RAID1 arrays?