RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
yud

Problems with P410 and Seagate ST3000DM001 HDD's

yud

Hi,

Asking for urgent help please.

I recently changed the RAID controller in my N54L from Adaptec 2405 to the Smart Array P410. The P410 has 512MB RAM + BBWC. It was a warranty replacement part from HP so I don't know if its brand new or refurbished.

My N54L was running for 4 months with the Adaptec 2405 and 2 x RAID1 arrays: 2 x Seagate ST31000524AS (1TB) for ESXi VM Store and 2 x Seagate ST3000DM001 (3TB) for data.The system was running perfectly with this setup.

Problems started when I replaced the 2405 with the P410. The 3TB HDD's were wiped and a new array was built, but I had constant problems with the drives being noisy (s strong humming noise as well as a strange grinding noise every few seconds - a noise which I can only describe as half way between a grinding noise to a beep). But worse than that: after a short operating time the P410 would lock up and ESXi could not see any storage at all (not even the 2 x 1TB drives).

I narrowed it down to a single faulty 3TB HDD and had the drive replaced by Seagate under warranty. While waiting for the replacement the remaining 3TB HDD was working fine as data store for an entire week. No problem at all!  When the replacement 3TB arrived I rebuilt the array using the offline ACU, and all appeared well.

However, after a short operating time (minutes) the same thing started happening: the frequent grinding noise, the P410 lockup and datastore disappearing.

I tried removing one 3TB drive at a time, but this did not help. Both drives were showing the same symptoms and locking up the P410. When removing both 3TB drives the system works without a glitch.

So it appears my P410 cannot handle the ST3000DM001, which is strange because I saw many posts from people using this combination.

The P410 has the latest firmware (6.6 I think)

Both ST3000DM001 drives have firmware CC29, which is the latest.

The N54L is running the moded BIOS (although I don't think this matters).

Both ST3000DM001 drives passed the SeaTools tests as well as HDD Health Test I found on the PMAGIC live CD.

I don't believe it's power related. The N54L has the Pico 120w power supply but system consumption is around 65-70w when all 4 drives are installed (measurd while the N54L is connected to a power meter).

Do I have a dud P410? Any other reason you can think of that will cause this kind of issues?

Will really appreciate an advice because banging my head against the wall is starting to really hurt!

Y.

schoondoggy

It sounds like you have a bad P410. Have you run the diagnostics in the HP software?

Do you have the drive write cache setting turned on?

If so, try turning it off.

yud

It sounds like you have a bad P410. Have you run the diagnostics in the HP software?

Do you have the drive write cache setting turned on?

If so, try turning it off.

Thanks for your reply.

Ran the Array Diagnostics when only 2 x HDD's connected (the 1TB drives which are not causing this issue). No errors except for the missing drives.

Ran it again with 1 x 3TB drive connected. No errors except for the missing drive.

Ran it again when the 2nd 3TB connected. The ACU hung and I had to force shut down.

Booted again with both 3TB drives connected and the "initializing" stage during POST took forever. Eventually neither of them were detected, only the 2 x 1TB drives.

Deleted the 3TB array, rebooted, once again "initializing" took forever and the 2 drives were still not detected when they're both plugged in.

Disabled write-cache (only "battery not present" was enabled. "write to physical drives" was disabled. Same results.

I will call HP and try to get the P410 replaced.

ikon

You said the 3TB drives were wiped. How did you do that? Did you use DISKPART?

yud

You said the 3TB drives were wiped. How did you do that? Did you use DISKPART?

Sorry, used the wrong term.

The drives were not wiped but rather the previous RAID array, which was created by the 2405, was deleted. I then created a new RAID1 array using the P410.

ikon

In that case you could try using DISKPART /CLEAN to completely wipe out the configurations on the drives.

yud

In that case you could try using DISKPART /CLEAN to completely wipe out the configurations on the drives.

I will, thanks.

But shouldn't the array controller pickup the drived regardless of what's on them?

A explained above when both HDD's in question are plugged in (a total of 4 drives) the P410 doesn't even see them anymore.

Having said that I will run them under DISKPART and clean them.

ikon

I think it's always a good idea to start off with drives in a known state.

yud

I will, thanks.

But shouldn't the array controller pickup the drived regardless of what's on them?

A explained above when both HDD's in question are plugged in (a total of 4 drives) the P410 doesn't even see them anymore.

Having said that I will run them under DISKPART and clean them.

EDIT:

Cannot run DISKPART because I'm not running Windows. I'm running ESXi.

I'll look for a similar utility on a Linux Live CD.

Perhaps PMagic?

yud

Received a replacement P410 from HP. In the process of installing it.

Found that the firmware level is 6.0.

My current (faulty???) P410 has firmware 6.60

Need to jump through hoops to install 6.60: install a fresh copy of Win 2008 on another machine so I can run the HP USB Key for Windows so I can put the HP SPP ISo on it so I can do the firmware upgrade!

While all this is happening I'm thinking of testing the drives on the P410 with firmware 6.0, just to see what will happen.

Will update soon

Edited by yud