RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migrate from Windows Server 2012E to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard VM

Pancakes

I have an HP Microserver G7 that I got a while back, and everyone on here helped me configure it. It has run for over a year and a half without a single problem. However now I have outgrown it, and I have slowly been moving stuff over to my much more powerful ESXi server. The last 2 things to go are the fact its the primary DNS and Domain controller, and the fact it does the Essentials Remote Access 

I'm sure I will be able to figure out making another domain controller the primary and decommissioning this one (Unless anyone has any awesome advice that is). But does anyone know what the best path to take is regarding Remote Access? 

Would I be best off just making it into a VM and leaving it as it is? Or can I configure it almost the same on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard? The last time I tried I had to mess around with SSL Certs and it was a giant pain. I also have access to 2012 R2 Essentials through work. Would it be best to start over using that? Could I use the domain name that the old Essentials install gave me 

It seems to me the easiest route would be to convert the Essentials server to a VM and just move it over to the new server. That way none of your access procedures vwould change. Both VMWare and Microsoft have tools to do this.

• Like 1

Make a backup first though...

And speaking of which, try restoring to a VM, and see if that works. If it does, then you're set.

I have a daily system image from Acorns True Image, unfortunately that version of Acorns doesn't support VMware converter, so I can't do it from there :( 

As soon as more SSD's arrive ill do it