RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup a server essentials R2 to a WHS2011

PINKTULIP

Hi

I had quite a simple but effective setup working nicely.

I was using a 2011 box for network shares, and a v1 box for PC backups.

Overnight the 2011 box would replicate certain folders using Goodsync to the V1 box. This setup gave me 2 live copies available in the same office. (Small 6 person design agency). During the day when the v1 box was idle, it would backup (again using Goodsync FTP) to a NAS box offsite to my home.

The V1 box has died, motherboard problem, so I have purchased another HP Microserver, and installed esentialsR2 on it.

My question is can I now use the essentials box as my main production/client backup server, and then have the whs2011 box to back up the essentials box to, on the same network?

Will the connector software play nicely together, or will I need to remove the V1 connector from the client PCs?

Also using the server backup function in essentials, will it see the 2011 box as a share on the network?

Many thanks

Pete

I believe you will have to remove the v1 Connector software from the Client PCs in order to install the v2 Connector so they can back up to WSE2012r2.

What kind of backup were you thinking of having the WSE2012r2 do to the WHS2011? Are you wanting to install the WSE2012r2 Connector on the WHS2011 and have it back up that way? I'm not sure that can be done (I seem to recall something about the Connector refusing to install on Windows Server, although there may be a way around that).

Hi

My intention is to use Goodsync again to replicate the shared folders.  This way I can get instant access to files if there is ever a server failure by just pointing the PC's to the second server whilst I rebuild/repair the faulty server.  This means the team can continue to work on current files with no down time.

I will remove the connector software on 1 PC and try that.

Many thanks

Pete