RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

drive gone missing, want to make the right next steps

bkandor

Hi,

I have the original WHS (which I really really like) running since it came out.  A drive (1 of 6) is now showing as missing.  Even though all folders were duplicated some folders are browsable but the files are unavailable if you try to open or copy them.

I had used the whsdb backup util in the past but had trouble and and stopped backing that up a while ago.  So, I'm hoping I can preserve system backups if possible and files for sure.  But I don't want to make any wrong moves.

What is the best order of operations here to get recovered?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• bkandor

Hi,

I pulling off some some data that is still accessible at the moment, so I haven't powered it down yet.  I believe the drive is still spinning via 'screwdriver stethoscope listening'.  In the past I've had luck swapping the controller boards off of drives (seems they fail more often than the platters.  I'm hoping that will be the case.  My biggest concern is loosing the computer backups.  Second is a duplicated folder of old project data that currently says 'there was an error opening this document, the device is not connected'

Thanks!

I pulled all the drives and restarted after double checking all the connections - after restarting the drive isn't missing - but the backup service is still not started.

Hi,  I do but it needs help.   I have 2 qnaps as well but an explosion of data has been hampering my efforts.   Some of the data I'm rescuing right now is old archive data which I thought I didn't care about that much until I almost lost it!!!

Here is my current problem,  One system on my network cannot backup it's D or F drive because of the following error (the full name that is in error is "systemname.D.VolumeCluster.4096.dat ReadFile 23" I'm not sure how to overcome this error. I could delete or rename that file via RDP but at what cost?

Thanks for your help so far!

ShzqwHr.jpg

Edited by bkandor

Well, you've discovered the hard way the very question I tell people to ask themselves when deciding what to back up: how would you feel if, tomorrow, you woke up and found a particular piece of data was gone forever?

It appears from your Backup Details image that you have 2 failed drives. If these were my drives I would run SpinRite on them. It's very likely SpinRite would be able to make the drives readable again. I would then immediately work to get the data off the drives ASAP.

Hi,

Actually those drives are fine, it's the WHS backup that 'failed' to back them up. For the F drive there is no reason given, because after D fails to backup (via the message above pointing to a corrupt .dat file) it simply aborts the backup. So, to reiterate, both of those drives are fine, and prior to this whs issue there are good backups from 6 days ago. So, what I have to decide is how to get WHS to successfully backup this system again. Since every attempt aborts with the same message.

I'm not sure that's correct. The backup is actually run from the Client. If there is a problem with a local Client drive, it would cause the issues you're experiencing. Do you have any log entries on the server that indicate that the problem is on the server?

Bottom line: if those drive entries are for drives on a Client Computer then I'm suspicious the Client Computer has drive issues.

Hi, the message above is the server detail indicating that the problem backing up the drive is that the server cannot update it's own .dat file. The drives are perfectly fine. This problem is a WHS issue related to a corrupted or unreadable 4gb dat file in the server backup database. Thanks!