RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups have simply stopped

Yeah Jason, you really need to track down the bad RAM DIMM(s). Bad RAM is a real killer issue. Like Drashna said, install 1 stick at a time and run memtest86 on it. It shouldn't take long to identify the faulty one(s). BTW, be real sure to test all 4 of them. Just because you find 1 doesn't mean there isn't a 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vertigo

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah Jason, you really need to track down the bad RAM DIMM(s). Bad RAM is a real killer issue. Like Drashna said, install 1 stick at a time and run memtest86 on it. It shouldn't take long to identify

Great insight. Lesson learned. I know it's recommended all sticks be purchased at same time. However I bought 2x8GB (16GB) a couple years ago. Then added a second 2x8GB for a total of 32 GB. It appears one of the two DIMMs in the most recent set was faulty. So I've RMA'd both sticks in the recent pair under Corsair lifetime warranty. They've since shipped replacements.

Also noticed I had previously setup the XMP option in BIOS with RAM running in Turbo overlock mode. Wasn't intentional. Since dropped to Normal/Auto mode in BIOS moving forward.

It's not such an issue that the 2 sets of DIMMS were not all bought at the same time. The main thing is to ensure that the DIMMS are installed in pairs into the correct slots - not usually such a difficult job these days, since on most mobo DIMM slots are colour coded in pairs. Ensure the DIMMS from a pair are installed in the same color slots are you're good to go - simply, but effective.

Glad to hear you've isolated the bad DIMM set and are getting a replacement set.

Drashna Jaelre

I agree with Ikon.

I'm using 4x8GB sticks. Two sets bought at different times. Absolutely no issues with them.

The big thing is that ideally, they should match specs between the two sets.

As for the XMP profile, that shouldn't make a difference when it comes to stability, IIRC.