RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups have simply stopped

Disagree.  The Event Logs are a good starting place.  Are they the only option, no but to say they are of no value is simply not the case.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vertigo

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah Jason, you really need to track down the bad RAM DIMM(s). Bad RAM is a real killer issue. Like Drashna said, install 1 stick at a time and run memtest86 on it. It shouldn't take long to identify

Drashna Jaelre

For Server Backups, then yes, the Event Viewer logs are useful. 

But for the Client Backups, then the Event Viewer is nigh useless. It rarely contains anything useful (yes, sometimes it does, but not usually). The verbose text logs are much more likely to contain indications of the issues it's having, and point you in the direction of how to fix them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys,

Ok it's happened again.  Last backups were from Saturday and nothing at all since then.  No attempt is even made to backup - there are no errors, nothing in the event log on the client at all, it's just as if it's stopped altogether.

Could be my imagination but it seems to be coinciding with the backup maintenance sweep early on Sunday mornings.

Before I do anything, what should I be looking at in the logs?

Thanks.

Drashna Jaelre

Look for anything. :(

The event viewer does have some stuff, but the text logs may be much more verbose.

A chkdsk pass is a good idea, but just incase, try running a memory test (wouldn't be the first time I've seen bad memory adversely affect the backups).

OK. Running memtest now on system. Has 32 GB RAM. 4 x 8 GB DIMMs. It's clearly throwing errors in memtest86+ based on red rows at bottom of screen. How do you narrow down to specific failing DIMMS chip from this info without running this test with one chip at a time?

Drashna Jaelre

... one stick at a time. :(

You could try pulling one stick at a time, and see how that goes. But it amounts to the same thing.

Good point. What's odd is that this is the only issue that occurred from having 1 of 4 bad sticks. Occasional client backup corruption. Granted when it hit, I had to completely reset all client backups and start over with all clients. But still feel fortunate this was the extent of it.

Drashna Jaelre

Well, it really depends on how the sticks are being used, and which module it is.  

Also, keep in mind that the database cleanup is a VERY memory intensive process. even if your system doesn't use up all the memory on the system, it's constantly loading different chunks. I think you can see just how badly that could affect your database.