RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backups have simply stopped

Vertigo

My server has been running without any problems for a while now but, in the last few days, it's just stopped doing backups.

I have two client machines what are configured to start up in the night, at which point the server initiates the backup and then they shut down again.

Both machines last backed up on 18/10/2014 and haven't even tried to since.  The fact that it's both clients and at the same time suggests the server but nothing's changed.  I tried rebooting it yesterday but, on checking this morning, neither had backed up yet again.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Ah, just tried doing a manual backup and it failed immediately.  Checking the server event log is suggesting there's a problem with existing backups so I'm doing a repair - gonna take forever! :(

Ok getting fed up with this now.  Have just done a backup repair process which took about 5 hours, trundling along fine, only to report at the end:

"Backup repair did not succeed.  An unknown error prevented the backup repair process from starting. Make sure that all services are running and then try again".

Thanks Microsoft, another one of your utterly hopeless messages.  After five hours of processing I get a message saying it couldn't even "start" (so what's it been doing for the last five hours!?) and on top of that the error is "unknown".

I despair of Microsoft, I really do.

Suppose I'll run a chkdsk on the drives although not sure if that's the best way of testing them out.

Edited by Vertigo

An inability to complete a backup repair is most often caused by a disk problem, and usually not one that can be fixed by CHKDSK. You may well have a drive going bad.

I'm actually using DrivePool and the client backups are in the pool along with everything else.

I've done a chkdsk on all of the constituent drives and no errors have come back.

I'm wondering whether this is a good idea or whether it might be better to remove one drive from the pool and dedicate that to the client backups?

An inability to complete a backup repair is most often caused by a disk problem, and usually not one that can be fixed by CHKDSK. You may well have a drive going bad.

What's the best way to check the drives out?

If the drive is 2TB or less, my favourite tool is SpinRite. Two cautions: SpinRite is not free, there is no demo/trial version, and it takes many days to check a 2TB drive - that's because it does such a good job. Other options, particularly for drives larger than 2TB would be HD Tune. There are others.

Ok getting fed up with this now.  Have just done a backup repair process which took about 5 hours, trundling along fine, only to report at the end:

"Backup repair did not succeed.  An unknown error prevented the backup repair process from starting. Make sure that all services are running and then try again".

Thanks Microsoft, another one of your utterly hopeless messages.  After five hours of processing I get a message saying it couldn't even "start" (so what's it been doing for the last five hours!?) and on top of that the error is "unknown".

I despair of Microsoft, I really do.

Suppose I'll run a chkdsk on the drives although not sure if that's the best way of testing them out.

Do you have any spare drives you could dedicate "exclusively" to client backups"  If so, I'd go that route and get those backups out of that pool.

Thanks for the advice all.

I've binned the whole client backup database and right now I'm removing a 3TB drive from the pool which I'll then dedicate to the backups and see how that goes.